Thread: Atheros 5523 usb adapter question

Default Atheros 5523 usb adapter question

Edit: Seems like I didn't correctly made the topic title:
    The usb adapter is not Atheros, but another brand and the card contains the following chipset: ar5523 from Atheros.

Hello,

I have a question,

I have an usb adapter with the Atheros ar5523 chipset. I searched google for about 1,5 hour, with no possible solution for me, so I decided to ask here.
    Is anyone familiar with this chipset and can I be able to monitor and do packet injection with this chipset?
    I searched on several sites and mostly what I found was that the driver for this chipset for Linux is still under development.
    ar5523 is a driver to support old Atheros USB 802.11abg chipsets. Work is currently under development
    Does anyone already have a workaround for this driver, or a direct private patch?
    Hope for a reply,
    Thanks
    Last edited by TheFlyingDutchMan; 01-09-2011 at 03:09 PM. Reason: misleading topic title

Default Re: Atheros 5523 usb adapter question

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingDutchMan View Post
    Edit: Seems like I didn't correctly made the topic title:
    The usb adapter is not Atheros, but another brand and the card contains the following chipset: ar5523 from Atheros.

Hello,

I have a question,

I have an usb adapter with the Atheros ar5523 chipset. I searched google for about 1,5 hour, with no possible solution for me, so I decided to ask here.
    Is anyone familiar with this chipset and can I be able to monitor and do packet injection with this chipset?
    I searched on several sites and mostly what I found was that the driver for this chipset for Linux is still under development.

Does anyone already have a workaround for this driver, or a direct private patch?
    Hope for a reply,
    Thanks
    Anyone knows if this is supported?

I dont have that card but from what i read briefly it looks like it isn't going to work.

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/ar5523

it looks like a linux driver is in the works. But right now it dosent look like it is going to work natively. It dosent seem to be supported as of right now.
    wh1t3 fang

http://wiki.debian.org/ar5523

This is a link for some instructions on how to get the experimental driver for this card working under Debian. It would be similar for backtrack. It is worth a shot
    wh1t3 fang

Quote Originally Posted by dex1218 View Post
    http://wiki.debian.org/ar5523

This is a link for some instructions on how to get the experimental driver for this card working under Debian. It would be similar for backtrack. It is worth a shot
    Yes I know, I already got my adapter working, but just for networking: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...G_(ndiswrapper)
    When installing this way, my card doesn't get recognized. I have read when installing drivers with ndiswrapper you won't be able to monitor and inject, too bad.

I already opened another thread about installing from the wiki debian, but I get stuck:
    http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...e-package.html
    the thread was closed for some vague reason. I updated my debhelper, but the make( m-a a-i) command fails unforunately. It seems there was some wrong code in the script, so I fixed the script, these errors were solved then, but there were a few new ones which I wasn't able to fix, I am not a programmer.
    Maybe a little guidance how to solve the m-a a-i command failure would be very appriciated.
    I will post the error log later, if anyone is interested.

Thanks for your time.

Hi,

First installing this on BT4R2 will take up to 4/5 hours, because due to the Module.symvers and MakeFile_32.cpu missing, so I now first try on an ubuntu livecd through VMWare player. I already spent a few day's on this with bt4r2, but that is not the matter now. When this will be solved I will install this on BT. Got everything installed now without installing errors

But the device doen't get initialized. So, I post some output here

lsusb:
    Code:
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 129b:160c CyberTAN Technology 
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 058f:6362 Alcor Micro Corp. Flash Card Reader/Writer
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Where 129b:160c CyberTan Technology is my siemens adapter, which has the ar5523 chipset.

dmesg
    Code:
    [   46.035965] EXT4-fs (sda1): re-mounted. Opts: errors=remount-ro,commit=0
    [  170.604464] usb 1-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
    [  175.769275] usb 1-2: failed to reset device - initialization timeout
    [  175.769638] usb 1-2: could not initialize adapter
    [  175.777173] ar5523: probe of 1-2:1.0 failed with error -5
    I build the driver like this: http://wiki.debian.org/ar5523

It should work, but it doesn't and I couldn't find a much more documantation on the net.
    Hope anyone can help a bit.
    :-)