Thread: BT2 installed, Ubuntu installed, now BT2 wont boot

Just burned his ISO

Default BT2 installed, Ubuntu installed, now BT2 wont boot

Ive tried googling and searching this forum but to no avail.

I was recommended BT2, ran it from the live disc no problem. The tools aside I was very impressed with the look and feel of the interface. So I would like to use it as an OS.

I was tripple booting Ubuntu, XP and Vista.

I installed BT2, but then couldnt access any other OS, so I had to re-install Ubuntu.

Now when I boot up I have what used to be my Ubuntu grub screen, where I can choose Ubuntu, Windows(which then takes me XP or Vista screen) and bt(on /dev/sda8)

I can still load/use Ubuntu,XP and Vista. When I select the bt option it loads fine for a while then this happens:

RAMDISK: Couldn't find valid RAM disk image starting at 0

VFS: Cannot open root device "current" or unknown block(0,0)
    Please append a correct "root=" boot option

Kernel panic - not syncing
    VFS: Unable to mount root fs an unknown block (10,0)
    <6>Time: acpi_pm clocksource has been installed.

The boot freeze's there and I have to restart the computer.

I have only been using Ubuntu for a week and really dont like it so want BT to be my main OS if its possible, but still having a grub menu to choose XP and vista when I want it.

Sorry if this is beyond the real of the newbie forum. Please dont flame me for being a newbie. Any help will be appriciated, be it advice or links to check out.

I triple boot the same way, first let me say that you didn't have to reinstall ubuntu What happened was you wrote over grub with lilo. Lilo is the boot loader used by Back Track. The fix would have taken you 3 minutes at best instead of reinstalling.

Anyway, to fix this issue. What has happened, is that by reinstalling ubuntu, you have written over lilo with grub again. Anytime I do a fresh triple install, grub needs to be configured.

So, go into ubuntu and do:

Code:
    cd /boot/grub
    sudo nano menu.lst
    Scroll down to the bottom of this file, look for "Other Operating Systems" and go to the Back Track one. You should see your Vista entry there as well.

What you need to do is change

Code:
    # This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for other OS
    # on /dev/sda8
    title		bt on (/dev/sda8)
    root		root=current ro
    savedefault
    makeactive
    chainloader	+1
    to

Code:
    # This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for other OS
    # on /dev/sda8
    title		bt on (/dev/sda8)
    root		root=/dev/sda8
    savedefault
    makeactive
    chainloader	+1
    Assuming that /dev/sda8 is where B|T is installed. Then you can still tri boot. If you wanted to just have vista and B|T but use grub, you would have to remove ubuntu first. Then you can install grub and use that instead of lilo. How you go about that, I am not sure. The ubuntu forums would be good to tell you lots about grub.

Post back to let us know how it goes.

Just burned his ISO

Wow, thanks for the quick reply.

The instructions look really clear.

I had a feeling i didnt have to re-install ubuntu, but it is only basic install just to try it out, will get rid of it shortly.

Now I just have to edit as you've shown me how and I should be up and running.

Big thanks again.

Just burned his ISO

Well I tried, but it hasnt worked.

This was my original configuration of the grub file:

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for an existing
    # linux installation on /dev/sda8.

title bt (on /dev/sda8)
    root (hd0,7)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=current ro
    initrd /boot/splash.initrd
    savedefault
    boot

I tried your method, then when reboot the grub menu comes up, when I select BT, i get the error:

ERROR11: Unrecognised Device String

I tried various(random) configurations of what you gave me, and what was their to start with but still no joy.

Ubuntu, XP and Vista still work.

*** edit ***

If it would be easier to re-install BT, let me know, its not a problem as I hadnt modified it in any way.

*** end edit ***

Try this:

Code:
    # This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for an existing
    # linux installation on /dev/sda8.

title bt (on /dev/sda8)
    root (hd0,7)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda8 
    initrd /boot/splash.initrd
    savedefault
    boot
    And just for clarity, edit it, save it. Make sure you save it. THen open it again, and copy paste it here, so I can have a better look.

Just burned his ISO

It works perfect now thank you.

I havnt posted the menu.lst because i cant connect to the web using ubuntu, and the config is all wrong when i open the file in xp. But if you want it I will copy it and config it by hand.

Again Big thanks, now if I could just connect to the net with BT that will be brilliant. But thats a problem for another post and another day.

Good to hear it worked ! If its working, then no need to post the menu.lst That was in case it didn't work.

Try this to get your card on the internet in B|T:

Code:
    ifconfig ath0 down
    iwconfig ath0 essid linksys key xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    ifconfig ath0 up
    dhcpcd ath0
    Yours might not be ath0. Check iwconfig to see what it is listed as, might be eht0 (ethernet card) or eth1 (wireless). These aren't always named as such, but should be in some fashion.

Let me know if that works.

Just burned his ISO

Thumbs up

Thanks for the help. I am now posting using firefox in Back Track.

It looks like my card was supported from the initial install. (Ubuntu didnt)

To connect I used: Internet > Wireless assistant, then connected to the network I wanted to use.

I think when I initially installed I used the WEP key I had been given for the network.

Looks like I will be hanging around this forum for a while to get this OS system up and running "properly", ie how I want it.

Thanks again for the very clear, concise instructions.

Very professional and not "child like" flaming like I've seen in other forums.

Keep up the good work

Mark

Glad I was able to help with the little knowledge I do have Sometimes these forums are slow in responses, so keep that in mind when asking questions. Patience and self learning are important ideas to understand here.