Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rotffl someone has bt envy

Default Re: Rotffl someone has bt envy

What really makes backtrack is how well it's maintained. Does blackbuntu run their own repositories? I know gnacktrack does not. Pentoo is the only other security based distro I tend to boot, but of course those guys have to run their own repo (or at least cannot piggyback on the backtrack repos). Biggest complaint with Pentoo? Not well maintained.

I spent the weekend at Shmoocon in Washington, DC and you would be impressed by the number of BT terminals I saw at the Hack Fortress competition .... it brought a tear to my eye. I didn't see any BT wanabe terminals at any of the hack competitions.

=] keep up the good work guys

Just burned his ISO

Guys,

Those slating other distros have got the wrong idea. The infosec community is about sharing information, resource and knowledge. I'm the lead dev of GnackTrack and have openly said that it uses the backtrack repos. I have never wanted GnackTrack to compete with backtrack, i just wanted gnome instead of kde and knew others wanted this as well so made it publicly available. Is this such a problem?

Yes gnacktrack uses the bt repos.... yes that might be cheeky at most, but it is nothing else.

It seems a shame that there is this feeling of competition; we have the same interests, the same goals and the same desires. This is when people should work together for the benefit of all, not against each other.

We all want a more stable testing platform, we all want the latest tools, we all want the ability to choose a front end, that's what gnacktrack offers; a choice.

If backtrack had at some point added gnome i would have never had the need to create gnacktrack. If gnacktrack and backtrack could merge somehow so that backtrack offered a gnome front end then great, problem solved and a benefit for all.

Thanks for pointing out my spelling errors macphail, I'll take that as helping improve the website rather than an insult to my knowingly bad written skills.

All in all i wish 2 years ago when i started building my own distro that the backtrack devs had let me join their team to create a gnome version of backtrack. Think where we would be today if it hadn't of been so hard to contribute!

Thanks all

Matthew
    Last edited by phillips321; 03-07-2011 at 02:41 PM. Reason: update my poor spelling

Just burned his ISO

I agree with the people who support the other distros. Having more options is always better. One of the reasons we hate windows is...

Very good friend of the forum killadaninja's Avatar

I hear ya Phillips321, and at the end of the day like you say, your putting in freework and sharing with people and although I do not use Gnattrack (or care a less for Gnome for that matter) I think you should be applauded as MANY people want Backtrack with Gnome, also you openly admitted it`s based on backtrack, and paid the Dev`s Homage, well done. As for BackTrack, it is and always will be the most functional and best mantained free SEC distribution avaliable, Phillips321 has just gave you all choice, and theres no such thing as stealing something that`s free, as long as everyones that deserves to be is noted, (copying something in the beggining is paying homage, like Pure_hate says)! On another Note, to all the devs at backtrack you know I have mad respect for all of you, and what you have put together can be copied, but not replicated!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by killadaninja; 03-08-2011 at 09:37 PM.
    Sometimes I try to fit a 16-character string into an 8–byte space, on purpose.

Developer

I do not have any problem with any other security distros at all. Linux is a build your own kinda OS and every one should build their own at some point. That being said I do feel leeching off of the Backtrack repos is much worse than cheeky, if you are going to build a distro do it the whole way, instead you have basically just added a theme to backtrack. We still do all the work. I would also be willing to bet there are lots of tools that dont work, how do I know this? Because we have looked at gnome many times in the past. Also Philip never once contacted us to be on the dev team that I know off and furthermore just adding Gnome is not going to get you on the backtrack dev team. Anyway he can do whatever he wants as long as he doesn't try to promote it here.

Very good friend of the forum killadaninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by purehate View Post
    That being said I do feel leeching off of the Backtrack repos is much worse than cheeky, if you are going to build a distro do it the whole way, instead you have basically just added a theme to backtrack. We still do all the work..
    Looking at it from that perspective maybe Philips should change the splash to something like "GnatTrack, Leeching From BackTrack since 2011"
    Sometimes I try to fit a 16-character string into an 8–byte space, on purpose.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12