Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rotffl someone has bt envy

Hybrid View

Default Rotffl someone has bt envy

don't know if you guys are aware but you guys have some serious swagger jackers called BLACKBUNTU
    HP DV7
    8GB DDR3
    Core i7-720QM
    Nvidia GeForce GT 320M

BT5-64bit x WIN7-64bit DualBoot

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

Default Re: Rotffl someone has bt envy

Did you see gnacktrack aswell? They didn't even bother changing the name to something clever.

Yea I seen both of the knockoffs I couldn't stop laughing when one user said its better than bt because its faster, he didn't get the memo that you have to type your password EVERYTIME you run a tool, but I guess that's the way it is dealing with Linux its not considered stealing when its Open-Source the devs worked their asses off just to have these dick-heads copy, its a shame
    HP DV7
    8GB DDR3
    Core i7-720QM
    Nvidia GeForce GT 320M

BT5-64bit x WIN7-64bit DualBoot

Playing the devil's advocate here, but isn't this considered a "fork"? I tried BlackBuntu and I thought it was quite nice. It uses gnome, which I like more than KDE, it looks better (sure, does't matter to the pro's but it's a nice touch), and it had a bit less....weird errors. You know what I mean.

More credit for the backtrack team would be nice though....
    Student Systems Administration and Network Engineering, second year.
    Don't PM me with questions, unless very specific. Otherwise, use the forums so everyone can potentially benefit from it.

lol ... another backtrack rip off. There are so many backtrack rip offs floating around. Ive tried a few of them but always found myself coming back to backtrack. everyone wants to be another backtrack.... but it just isnt happening.
    wh1t3 fang

Quote Originally Posted by Citruspers View Post
    ...More credit for the backtrack team would be nice though....
    in all fairness;

What to call it???? Well, being as we wanted to base this on BackTrack it made sense to call it GnackTrack. It's just stuck. This distro also uses the BackTrack repo's so it's only fair to pay respect to the RemoteExploit guys for all they're hard work.
    (http://www.gnacktrack.co.uk/faqs.php)

and i'm sure they meant "all their hard work".

i dont think that the issue is that someone is ripping from BT, that has happened before and will happen again. as PH said, it is really just flattery. the point is this; you can't toss together a bunch of tools and become an expert.

i can't go out and buy a carpenter's toolbelt and then build my own house.

i'm not saying that the devs anyplace else aren't savvy at pen-testing, maybe they are and maybe they aren't. but we know the skillset that the BT devs and community bring to the table.

besides, perhaps now there will be someone that will tell me how to hax0rz my neighbor's wifi.

Last edited by macphail; 01-29-2011 at 09:00 AM.
    -----------
    ~peace
    MacPhail

Just burned his ISO

Guys,

Those slating other distros have got the wrong idea. The infosec community is about sharing information, resource and knowledge. I'm the lead dev of GnackTrack and have openly said that it uses the backtrack repos. I have never wanted GnackTrack to compete with backtrack, i just wanted gnome instead of kde and knew others wanted this as well so made it publicly available. Is this such a problem?

Yes gnacktrack uses the bt repos.... yes that might be cheeky at most, but it is nothing else.

It seems a shame that there is this feeling of competition; we have the same interests, the same goals and the same desires. This is when people should work together for the benefit of all, not against each other.

We all want a more stable testing platform, we all want the latest tools, we all want the ability to choose a front end, that's what gnacktrack offers; a choice.

If backtrack had at some point added gnome i would have never had the need to create gnacktrack. If gnacktrack and backtrack could merge somehow so that backtrack offered a gnome front end then great, problem solved and a benefit for all.

Thanks for pointing out my spelling errors macphail, I'll take that as helping improve the website rather than an insult to my knowingly bad written skills.

All in all i wish 2 years ago when i started building my own distro that the backtrack devs had let me join their team to create a gnome version of backtrack. Think where we would be today if it hadn't of been so hard to contribute!

Thanks all

Matthew
    Last edited by phillips321; 03-07-2011 at 02:41 PM. Reason: update my poor spelling

Just burned his ISO

I agree with the people who support the other distros. Having more options is always better. One of the reasons we hate windows is...

Developer

We consider it a honor to be copied, no one wants to copy something that sucks so that means we are doing good job.

Isn't everything a rip-off eventually? MS 'steals' from OSX, Linux and BSD 'copy' each others new/good functions...
    @purehate: I'll bet the adult industry begs the differ
    "The difference between RAID1 and RAID0 is that the zero stands for how many files you're gonna have after a harddisk failure."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast