Thread: Can BT4 crack a Hard drive password ( HDO )

Just burned his ISO

Default Can BT4 crack a Hard drive password ( HDO )

I have a laptop that wont boot because there is a password for the Hard drive, I can get in bios but you need the current password to disable it. before it boots the OS it prompts for a password (Enter HDO password) from what ive read there near impossible to crack. I am aware of just replacing the hard drive ,but I really want to see whats on it and I would just like to do it.
    My Question is can backtrack crack it ?
    If so , can someone point me in a link direction to read how. I did try searching the site with no luck , so if anyone knows if its possible I would appreciate some info.

Thank you

Default Re: Can BT4 crack a Hard drive password ( HDO )

Is that your harddrive?
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Backtrack is just a collection of tools. Asking if Backtrack can crack a hard drive password is akin to asking if ACE Hardware can remove a stripped lug nut. Also, why wouldn't you know the password to a hard drive that you own? Or for that matter, the BIOS password?

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Renek View Post
    Backtrack is just a collection of tools. Asking if Backtrack can crack a hard drive password is akin to asking if ACE Hardware can remove a stripped lug nut. Also, why wouldn't you know the password to a hard drive that you own? Or for that matter, the BIOS password?
    Yes, The drive is mine...I purchased the laptop used and the seller said nothing about a password. I dont have a phone number to call only an email address. After several attempts to contact someone unsuccessfully I am at a dead end. It was supposed to befully functional and equipped with restore disks and some software , of coarse I got none of the extras not even the AC adapter ( using one from another computer) and the laptop wont boot unless I have the password. I googled HDO password cracking and now realize that I will have to invest even more money into this deal to get it working. Well anyways, I just thought if there was a way I would give it a shot before buying a new hard drive and a new AC adapter.
    Also , I am able to get in the BIOS , it is not password protected but I cant disable the HDO password unless I know the current password.

HD passwords are embedded into the drive in such a way as to be virtually indestructible. to be frank, unless this is a dire situation, replace the drive.
    -----------
    ~peace
    MacPhail

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by macphail View Post
    HD passwords are embedded into the drive in such a way as to be virtually indestructible. to be frank, unless this is a dire situation, replace the drive.
    Thanks macphail , Thats what I read ,just wanted to confirm....It was just a bad deal, He got paid without me playin games with him , but then by me trying to crack the password ...and then posting it and reading the replies....Its like I'm the one being accused of doing wrong, but whatever. Thanks again.