Thread: Triple boot BackTrack 4 R2, Ubuntu, and Win7?

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO Drummynator's Avatar

Default Triple boot BackTrack 4 R2, Ubuntu, and Win7?

Hello all,
    I want to triple boot my laptop with bt4r2, ubuntu and win7. I already have ubuntu and win7 installed, but when I run the install.sh on backtrack, I don't know what to do when I get to the partition manager. I choose manual, because I don't want it to be just BT4, and theres really no free space. Here is a picture of the manager I get to:
    snapshot2.jpg
    I want to give BT4 about 30 GB from the win7 partition. How would I do this?

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Triple boot BackTrack 4 R2, Ubuntu, and Win7?

Resize your Windows 7 partition with Gparted. After you resize it manually, install Backtrack to the space you want. Grub should reconfigure itself (since you already had Ubuntu), and all should be well. I've done it before, and it worked for me. Gparted may take a while if its working on a big partition (took me a day for a 300gb drive) but it will get the job done.

P.S. You may have to resize the Windows 7 partition multiple times in increments of 10gb, when I tried it wouldn't work with more than 10gb at a time.

Ok, I resized my win7 partition, and i run install.sh in backtrack. If i select 'guided - use largest continuous free space' as the install option, it should just install to the free space despite the fact that the 'after partition setup' bar says BackTrack (100%)? I'm fairly new to partitioning so i apologize if i'm asking obvious questions...

This is just my personal experience but I never let the computer automatically partition things; to easy to mess things up that way. Doing it manually is quite easy and has a much lower percentage chance of screwing the pooch.

If the program is telling you that after partitioning your hard drive will be 100% Backtrack then I would believe it. Years back when I installed Backtrack for the first time in a dual-boot configuration the install script showed me the same output. My naive self thought it must just be displaying wrong and went ahead with the install. Needless to say I spent the rest of the day reinstalling my other operating systems. Save yourself the trouble and do it manually.

so i should choose manual install and do what at the partition table?