Hi. This question may have been asked before, but I have searched the internet and forums for the last week trying to find an answer to this problem, so maybe someone can help.

The situation is as follows:

" I have an empty harddisk (un-partitioned) and BackTrack 3 on a usb where I can live boot the distro."

I have followed ways of how to install BackTrack 3, but the problem lies in the fact that everyone gives tutorials on how to do this with a live CD and not a live usb.

Now it might not differ, but from what I am shown on my screen to what everyone says should show definitely differs.

An example would be booting. When I boot from a live usb, I must select the usb as a boot option. Once this is done, I am given the choice to run BackTrack 3 under a KDE window manager, Fluxbox Window manager and others. In the tutorials, it says I must input (startx) to get going, which I don't have to.

From there I follow the steps to partition the harddisk in the terminal which I complete successfully, but it gets complicated because the tutorials are for BackTrack 2 and not 3.

The tutorials go on to explain that after I have partitioned the harddisk and have mounted them, I can run the BackTrack installer. Note*(The BackTrack installer was not included in BackTrack 3) They also go on to say that if I don't have the BackTrack installer I must download it.

That leads me to the next issue. I cannot download for some reason. Is this because of the live usb?

Is is possible for someone to post a step by step instruction of how to install BackTrack 3 on the whole harddisk from a live usb?"

Below are the installation instructions I followed from Offensive-Security:

fdisk /dev/sda
n[enter]
p[enter]
1[enter]
[enter]
+50M[enter]
n[enter]
p[enter]
2[enter]
[enter]
+512M[enter]
n[enter]
p[enter]
3[enter]
[enter]
[enter]
a[enter]
1[enter]
t[enter]
2[enter]
82[enter]
p[enter]
w[enter]
mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda1
mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda3
cd /tmp
mkdir boot
mkdir bt2
mount /dev/sda1 boot
mount /dev/sda3 bt2

From there I am to start KDE with startx.
From there I am told to go to K => System => BackTrack Installer (Whichdoes not exist on BT3).

Also I notice in the commands above:
" #cd /tmp" and "mount /dev/sda3 bt2".

I am assuming those are commands for a live cd as well as BackTrack 3.