Thread: The Easiest USB install using LinuxLive USB Creator

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Post The Easiest USB install using LinuxLive USB Creator

If you are like me then you have very little command line experience and are having trouble or have had trouble in the past installing BT4 on to a USB drive. This is a method for installing BT4 on to a USB drive with the options of making it persistent and virtual.

You will need a neat little windows program called LinuxLive USB Creator (LiLi for short). It can be downloaded for free form this URL http://www.linuxliveusb.com

After installing the program there are only five easy steps, all of them are performed with a mouse.

Step 1: We have to tell the program where to find the USB drive. Click on the drop down box and select the drive you want. I recommend an 8GB or larger drive but if you are not going to make it persistent then a 4GB should be fine.

Step 2: Select the linux image. I say linux image and not BT4 because it supports many different distros. To install BT4 the easiest way is to download the image you want and then select the icon labled "ISO/IMG/SIP". It can be installed from a CD or downloaded right from the program as well. A neat feature is that once an image is selected LiLi checks the image to see if it is supported and is not corrupted.

Step 3: Here is where an actual decision must be made. Do you want persistence? Don't get scared this is easier than any other form of persistence. Persistence is good because it save changes that you make to the USB drive unlike a live CD. This is nice because you can install programs and drivers that you might need for some computers. It can be bad if you are learning how to use say the command line and frequently blow things up. LiLi does not remove the option to boot up in live mode but just adds an option to boot with persistences. So if you have the space don't hesitate. If you want it grab the slider and pull it over as far as you want (max is 4GB).

Step 4: We are almost done. This step is just some options.
    First if you have a large Thumb Drive then not all of it will be used by BT4. You will inevitably place other files on to it. To prevent accidentally deleting all your hard work LiLi will hide the BT4 files on the drive.
    Secondly I recommend going ahead and formating the drive before installation. This option is not checked by default probably to avoid a lawsuit because somebody had some file worth millions on the drive and didn't know that formating wipes the drive. So I must warn you now that this step essentially DELETES everything. BACKUP the files you want to keep.
    This last option is really neat. LiLi can install Oracles virtual box on to the drive and then makes a virtual machine out of BT4. This makes it so BT4 can be run with out even rebooting the computer but still leaves that option available.

Step 5: Click the lightning bolt to install.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Default Re: The Easiest USB install using LinuxLive USB Creator

The wiki already contains this info.

Install method - BackTrack Linux
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

It is the dead of Unetbootin :P

Just burned his ISO

Hey,
    I did this, and put backtrack 4 final on an 8gb flas drive, and gave it 4gb persistence....when I run it on the linux live oracle virtual box, it works...but the isntall.sh is still on the BT desktop. If i try installing it, the partition step does not let me click on anything.....is bt4 already installed on the usb through the linux live usb creator??...........when i try to run airmon-ng, it does not show my interface,chipset, driver. is this cuz its not installed, or whats going on?

install.sh is always on the desktop unless you remove it from there. What wireless adapter are you using?

quick question can we still boot from usb or is this a virtual box only setup?

don't have a big enough drive to mess with yet.

Just burned his ISO

Dusty,
    I have the Dell Wireless 1395 Wlan Mini-Card....1394 Net Adapter.....Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller...But for some reason airmon-ng in backtrack 4 does not detect the device....I read that on Virtual boxes, it can't pick up internal aspects of my computer...but I have tried running backtrack 4 final from another usb (with unetbootn) once i turn on the computer (F12), but the same thing happens there too. what do you think is the matter with this? ..i really appreciate your help

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by elleD View Post
    Dusty,
    I have the Dell Wireless 1395 Wlan Mini-Card....1394 Net Adapter.....Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller...But for some reason airmon-ng in backtrack 4 does not detect the device....I read that on Virtual boxes, it can't pick up internal aspects of my computer...but I have tried running backtrack 4 final from another usb (with unetbootn) once i turn on the computer (F12), but the same thing happens there too. what do you think is the matter with this? ..i really appreciate your help
    First off you are in the wrong part of th forums, try creating a thread in the beginners section. Because it is a Broadcom chip I suspect that you will just need to install broadcom drivers. If you are trying BT4 out in a virtual machine bare in mind that VMs usually only detect USB devises. Hope this helps.

Just burned his ISO

Both.

Glenn