Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WICD problem

Default WICD problem

I have a problem with WICD,

when I connect to a network (wireless, using wlan0 (Intel® WiFi Link 5100)) And when I connect to a network, no mather what network. It just disconnects sometimes and realy random, no time limit or what so ever. Also when I want to reconnect(the program doesn't to it auto, dispute the setup!) I can't get a IP, so I need to push refresh and then connect. It does looks like, when it can't handel the traffic it disconnects... (like when using: http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...-urlsnarf.html ) also when downloading stuff it just disconnects, any suggesties? I already searched but coudn't find anything....

I have a fresh installation of BT 4 R2

Default Re: WICD problem

I've noticed this sometimes when running Ubuntu, usually when I'm watching YouTube videos or other video streams.

WRT ettercap, sslstrip, urlsnarf this is likely because you're breaking the ARP table on your network. You should read up on ARPSpoofing.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Thanks for the anwser.

What do you mean with the second sentenc? WRT? and breaking the ARP table ? and where can I find something about ARPSpoofing? It is just running the script and that's it right ?

Sorry.

WRT == With regard to

Using the script you're talking about requires arpspoofing which essentially messes with the Layer2 routing configuration of you system or network (as noted by reading the thread you linked earlier). To find out more try searching around these forums and practicing some google'fu.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Ah thanks man!

But what about the other things, like you mentiond, watching Youtube movies, or uploading man that is a pain in the *@$ to do in backtrack !

I don't know how you can resolve your misc. disconnects. My main point was that by using the script you're talking about you're likely causing some of the disconnects/problems yourself.

Uhm thanks man but I can't find anything usefull becouse that script does everything, if I am right ?
    Last edited by nivong; 01-17-2011 at 11:09 AM.

you could try connecting manually using the command line.
    ifconfig wlan0 down
    iwconfig wlan0 essid mynetworkname
    iwconfig wlan0 key mynetworkkey
    ifconfig wlan0 up
    dhclient wlan0
    I find that this works better then wicd in a lot of cases
    Last edited by wh1t3fang; 01-17-2011 at 12:57 PM.
    wh1t3 fang

Thank you, sir from the internet!

That works indeed, any suggestions for a other program with GUI ? (so a alternative for wicd's gui program)?

I always just throw my connection commands into rc.local, or .bashrc or .bash_profile. I find connecting via CLI to be much more reliable

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast