Thread: How do I dual boot with two hard drives?

Just burned his ISO

Question How do I dual boot with two hard drives?

I was wondering, I have XP professional on my main hard drive and BackTrack4 on my second drive. How would I go about editing this to make it work?

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

I know I would add a line like this under [Operating Systems] below windows xp pro

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

So how would I edit that to make it boot to BackTrack from the second hard drive?

Default Re: How do I dual boot with two hard drives?

I would recommend simply reinstalling backtrack, because it installs and configures grub for you. It also gives you the chance to update to the latest backtrack (BT4R2).
    Student Systems Administration and Network Engineering, second year.
    Don't PM me with questions, unless very specific. Otherwise, use the forums so everyone can potentially benefit from it.

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xloit View Post
    I was wondering, I have XP professional on my main hard drive and BackTrack4 on my second drive. How would I go about editing this to make it work?

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]

I know I would add a line like this under [Operating Systems] below windows xp pro

So how would I edit that to make it boot to BackTrack from the second hard drive?
    This is an XP Boot.ini, you cannot use this to boot linux. You can reinstall GRUB without reinstalling backtrack.

Dualboot Two Hard Drives - Ubuntu Forums

This should be all you need to boot to either hd.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks alot guys for replyin to me, much appreciated. Do any of you have yahoo messenger, so I can message you personaly if I have a question so I dont spam the post lol

If you run into problems please ask here incase other people have the same problem.

Another way to dual boot is to completely isolate one hard drive from the other. Take out one hard drive while you install BT on the other hard drive and vice versa. Then just use your F12 boot key to select the hard drive you want to boot. Very clean approach.

Quote Originally Posted by alacrityathome View Post
    Another way to dual boot is to completely isolate one hard drive from the other. Take out one hard drive while you install BT on the other hard drive and vice versa. Then just use your F12 boot key to select the hard drive you want to boot. Very clean approach.
    It is not always F12 that takes you to the boot menu.

Quote Originally Posted by Xloit View Post

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]

=================================================

How I have my backtrack and windows 7 setup on my computer is I set the spare hard drive (d:\) that is going to be backtrack's disk as the first to be booted, and the windows hard drive to be the secondary (C:\). Then boot Backtrack LIVE CD ISO, and install backtrack to the spare hard drive (D:\). After you got Backtrack installed, it will boot to a screen with options, the first 2 options is to bring you to backtrack, the second to last option will say windows xp professional, but it'll just bring you to whatever windows you currently have installed. i think this is a safer way of running backtrack and windows in the same computer, rather than sharing a hard drive and partitioning it to run both windows and backtrack. It's very important that you set your bios to have the backtrack hard drive to be the first booted or else the windows hard drive will ignore backtrack and not even give you an option to choose which operating system you want to log into. Hope this helps, I kinda figure this stuff out myself. it wasn't too hard, but once you learn a little bit here and there, you'll learn to put all the puzzle pieces together to setup how you want your computer to be. I would send you a screen shot of what I am talking about but I have to turn off my computer to do it.