Thread: just looking for confirmation

Just burned his ISO

Default just looking for confirmation

Okay, so some of you may have seen my post on asking what path I should take, but I ran into something called metasploit. There seems to be tutorials everywhere and I googled the definition but it keeps coming up with "The Metasploit Project." The main page of metasploit.com has this quote "Metasploit provides useful information and tools for penetration testers, security researchers, and IDS signature developers." So my question is, for clarification to make sure I understand it; Is Metasploit a batch of tools that are used to gain entry to other computers, or gain information from other computers? I know they could go hand-in-hand, you can gain entry in order to access information from within the computer, or you can get the information required to gain access to a remote computer, but with pen-testing in mind; What is the main purpose of metaploit?
    I'm trying to look at the various tools available for all the paths so I can get a feel of what is out there. So I'll make sure that I won't ask questions like these unless I really need some clarification like this one.

Default Re: just looking for confirmation

You should check the Metasploit Unleashed by Offensive Security here.

Should give you some answers as well as a great tutorial.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Metasploit is definitely one of backtrack's swiss army knives. Learn it well.

Just burned his ISO

thanks for the link kmdave, I never found that page before. This is definitely a deeper tool than I anticipated. It seems as if it may be useful no matter what I choose to do.