Thread: Slim down Backtrack 4

Just burned his ISO

Default Slim down Backtrack 4

I want to slim down Backtrack 4 to fit on a cd. I'm a bit old school, and work with machines without dvd drives. What exactly makes Backtrack so big? What happened with the jump from the Backtrack 3 to 4? That was a huge size difference between 3. So is it the drivers, or is it the actual programs? Many up of the programs I never use, so it would seem a waste to have them. Which ones take up the most space?

Default Re: Slim down Backtrack 4

There is a nice article in the wiki, you should check it out.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Just burned his ISO

Thanks, I've seen that before. I did a little research and found out the debian base is more than 600mb, and slackware is much less than that. O well, time for a flash drive install(if the machines boot from usb). Thanks for the article.

You could rebuild the iso and slim it down as dave said or you could burn your iso to a usb flash drive since you dont have a dvd drive in your computers. Installation - BackTrack Linux
    wh1t3 fang

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Yes the switch to Ubuntu as well as the increased amount of tools (among other applications) did increase the size a bit.
    But that is par for the course considering that most other distros have increased in their base sizes as well.
    As far as slimming things down, you probably won't get much further than that of what the dev team has already done.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by ugothakd View Post
    I want to slim down Backtrack 4 to fit on a cd. I'm a bit old school, and work with machines without dvd drives. What exactly makes Backtrack so big? What happened with the jump from the Backtrack 3 to 4? That was a huge size difference between 3. So is it the drivers, or is it the actual programs? Many up of the programs I never use, so it would seem a waste to have them. Which ones take up the most space?
    So start out with one of the mini linux distros and add the programs you want/need.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

I thought about that, but then I would have to install many of the wireless drivers, and it would probably still be too large for a cd.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Well unless you have a bunch of wireless cards then you won't need many wireless drivers.
    We have more than most people are going to need. So again BT may not be the right choice for your needs.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.