Thread: Is there an order to learn things?

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Is there an order to learn things?

This may have been asked before, but I could not find a list. I would recommend someone to make a sticked post if it is possible to answer.
    But I am fairly new to BT and I was wondering if there is an order to learn things. I have had my struggles but was wondering if there was some sort of direction I should be considering. I have successfully used ng-crack and have messed with quite a few other programs. So is there a set order that is best to learn things or does it depend on the path I wish to take with this knowledge? and if the latter what kind of paths should I consider?

Default Re: Is there an order to learn things?

http://www.offensive-security.com/

I don't think there is a written order on how to learn these things, you could just check quick reviews/demos and see if you understand them or not, if you don't try something easier.

I have successfully used ng-crack and have messed with quite a few other programs. So is there a set order that is best to learn things or does it depend on the path I wish to take with this knowledge?
    I would suggest first you learn the techniques, when they are used, how they work before starting to use tools, it will be a lot easier to you and I'm sure you can get a lot of answers if you check the Video section and the HowTo.
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !

HERE is a list of topics that you should consider studying

There isn't a single correct answer to this question. The order in which you should ideally learn things relating to BackTrack will be dependent on what you want to use BackTrack for. Assuming it's penetration testing, there are multiple different types of penetration tests, and specialties within the field.

My suggestion is to pick a specialty (network pentesting, web pentesting, wireless pentesting, etc), find one of the related frameworks (OSSTMM, OWASP, Penetration Testing Framework, Wireless Penetration Testing Framework, etc), and learn the skills relating to the various steps in the framework.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

You can learn by browsing the forums and asking questions... you can also idle in the #backtrack-linux irc channel on irc.freenode.org because a lot of interesting things pop up throughout the day in there.

I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Just burned his ISO

wow, wasn't subscribed to the thread for some reason. oops. Thanks for all your answers. I was worried there would be no single answer. the pdf that iproute posted looks interesting. it seems as if it covers a broad range of topics so I can get a feel for everything. And I will keep Sickness' advice in mind. I definitely have a lot to learn about since lupin posted so many different routes one could go with Backtrack. As far as I got was "Penetration testing" didn't think about the subdivisions of that. I will also certainly take a stroll through all the links posted by thorin and maybe occasionally pop into the irc channel as well. I will certainly have to find a route I like and hopefully no one minds me posting later on (who knows when I'll get done with all this reading) about the path I choose and see who has chosen similarly to me to help me along. Thanks again.
    ps. I still think there should be a sticky with some sort of advice. perhaps posting the links I was given here so that newcomers can know where to start and know that its not a straight path. I must admit I was hesitant to ask as I know people don't like being asked the same thing over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwipuffin View Post
    ps. I still think there should be a sticky with some sort of advice. perhaps posting the links I was given here so that newcomers can know where to start and know that its not a straight path. I must admit I was hesitant to ask as I know people don't like being asked the same thing over and over.
    Yes, we probably should do this. This question, or variations thereof has come up often enough that some sort of authorative post may be worthwhile. The only question is how can it be done without it turning into a dogs breakfast. Maybe a post in the FAQ forum. I'll give some thought to an appropriate way to put this together and maybe discuss it with the other mods - anyone feel free to PM me with ideas if you have them.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Funny, I posted this question on stack overflow awhile back. I have heard that there was once a project called "The Learning Graph" that attempted to do this, but it never had any results.

i'd say that this is probably the hardest part of self-teaching. no super-structured curriculum like you find in job-training programs or elementary schools.

Just burned his ISO

Glad to hear you will put some thought into it. I will pm you lupin if I think of anything. And a graph would definitely be hectic. Going purely off the topics that lupin suggested, I would think more of a spiderweb-type image with things being inter-connected may be more appropriate. I still have yet to look into all the info I was given but it seems reasonable.