Thread: iPod for BT4R2

Hybrid View

Default iPod for BT4R2

I've got an iPod Nano 5th gen and I've been attempting to hook it up to BT. I got it working no problem on Ubuntu but it automounts for me. I've tried manually mounting it in BT to a local folder with

mount -t vfat <dev/sdX1> <localFolder>

and this allows me to browse the iPod via command line or a file browser. But whenever I try to use Rhythmbox to open the iPod Rhythmbox sees the iPod but says it has nothing on it and if I attempt to add anything Rhythmbox promptly crashes from a segfault (oh segfaults how I do hate you so many hours of my life consumed...) I've tried some other programs such as hippo and gtkpod to no avail; they seem to have stopped updating after the Nano 3rd gen. Anyone had any luck getting this to work with any program? Or maybe know what Ubuntu's secret to mounting this thing is?

Default Re: iPod for BT4R2

Explain why exactly one would use a pen test distro to mount an iPod, unless it's for forensic purposes? It's like adding an AM/FM radio to the Batmobile. It may provide entertainment, but it's just going to get in the way of basic functions.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

<deleted double content>
    Last edited by Thorn; 01-10-2011 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Forum weirdness...
    Thorn

Well to be quite frank Backtrack is now my main operating system. I haven't used Windows for two weeks now except for one reason. When I want to go running and I feel like loading up a playlist I haven't heard 200 times I have to turn off backtrack, boot up windows, fire up that horrible program known as iTunes and then put songs on there. That is why I would like to get my iPod working on Backtrack. And if I had to take a shot in the dark I'm probably not the only one that likes to listen to music whilst pentesting :-p

I dont know if this would be beneficial since it has nothing to do with pentesting but I have used amarok in loading mp3 files to my cousins ipod on bt4 a few months ago, maybe it would help but maybe just try using other linux distro for those purposes.
    It's time to free yer Mind; It's time to cleanse yer Soul

Quote Originally Posted by th3n3rd View Post
    Well to be quite frank Backtrack is now my main operating system. I haven't used Windows for two weeks now except for one reason. When I want to go running and I feel like loading up a playlist I haven't heard 200 times I have to turn off backtrack, boot up windows, fire up that horrible program known as iTunes and then put songs on there. That is why I would like to get my iPod working on Backtrack. And if I had to take a shot in the dark I'm probably not the only one that likes to listen to music whilst pentesting :-p
    Sure, people listen to music while pentesting, but only a fool would do it on the same machine. Mixing business and pleasure functions isn't very professional, and is a liability.
    Thorn

off topic but let it be known a iPod can be used for cold-boot attacks
    HP DV7
    8GB DDR3
    Core i7-720QM
    Nvidia GeForce GT 320M

BT5-64bit x WIN7-64bit DualBoot

Quote Originally Posted by lordplagueis View Post
    off topic but let it be known a iPod can be used for cold-boot attacks
    They sure can. They can also be used for an active USB attack. See 2600, Vol. 23, #1, Spring 2006, "iPod Sneakiness", pgs. 54-55
    Thorn

it is sorta like.. why would someone want to install compiz fusion on backtrack. You could argue that you dont need the fancy effects and that they only get in the way.. I guess some people like being able to use backtrack for many different purposes. hehe i have to admit it is pretty fun using things for purposes that they weren't intended to be used for.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    They sure can. They can also be used for an active USB attack. See 2600, Vol. 23, #1, Spring 2006, "iPod Sneakiness", pgs. 54-55
    Pretty sure none of the current iPods have the hard drive function any more.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69