Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DESPERATE New help after install bactrack4 cant reboot windows 7

Just burned his ISO

Default DESPERATE New help after install bactrack4 cant reboot windows 7

Hello my name is marc from spain, first of all i want to give thanks in advance to eveybody that can help me.

The problem is:

I work with backtrack 4 charging from cd , i decide to intall the software to hard disk , using the archive in the desktop names : Install.sh

i think that make a mistake because i click forward all the time not change nothing

1 step was choose the city
    2 step was keyboard layout
    3 step was preare disk space ( i think that here was my mystake ) i press the first option that is : Guided - resize scsi3 (0,0,0), partition 1

the other steps dont remeber

the question is i think that i delete the windows 7 partition.

My level in linux is nothing

is my job computer and i am complete desesperate iF somebody can help me i will be very glad

hope that not lose all the info in my laptop, have a lot of important info.

Thanks in advanced for you help

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: DESPERATE New help after install bactrack4 cant reboot windows 7

Also, you could repair your windows MBR and start over. You'll need either a System Repair disc (which you hopefully made previously), OR you can use the windows 7 install disc.

1. Boot from either disc.
    2. Select your language
    3. On the Install screen, click "Repair your computer" (this option only appears with the install disc - a system repair disc will skip this screen).
    4. The system will locate your windows install, make sure the top radio button ("Use recovery tools ...") is checked and click next.
    5. Select "command prompt"
    6. Type this at the command prompt:
    BOOTREC.EXE /FIXMBR

This will give the boot control back to the windows loader, and your machine should boot normally. You can delete the backtrack partition and try again. Be sure to go to control panel and make a system repair disc (if you haven't) and create a backup image. You can experiment with Linux with confidence knowing you have a backup of your entire system. Anyone who uses Linux has been in your shoes!

Just burned his ISO

Since your new to linux lets avoid the black scary console as much as possible... that being said if you did do a guided resizing.... the windows partition was basically resized try rebooting you should be able to see windows as part of your boot options. However if you do not see any choices boot into BT and open a console and type
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    which should show you how many partitions you have and copy the output back here...

next

open KDE->Utilities-> kate-Advanced text editor and open the file menu.lst by typing /boot/grub/menu.lst in the location field and copy the contents here

please post back with the output/content so that someone can guide you from there..

My level in linux is nothing
    No offense but I think that one of the main reasons that lead you to your problem is because of the lack of knowledge in Linux, we recommend that you generally get used to Linux before you try Backtrack.
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !

black scary console
    I love this bit

Just burned his ISO

Yes. As alluded to by others, Backtrack is not designed for "Linux Learners." It's a specific distro for specific purposes. If you want to learn Linux, you're better off with popular 'standard' distros like Fedora or Ubuntu, which have lots of beginner support. Posting "newbie" linux questions here will only incite "holier than thou" responses from douche-bags who forgot that they were ever beginners themselves. Don't let such attitudes deter you from going open source, but at the same time - don't show up to a car race asking what a steering wheel is.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by sickness; 01-11-2011 at 03:28 AM.

@clockbroke those "douche-bags" aren't paid for giving information or helping and those "douche-bags" aren't here to teach people Linux, this is a Backtrack support forum not a general Linux forum.
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by iproute View Post
    I love this bit
    Well to be honest that is how i felt when i started off with linux

o and btw i was not trying to be a douche bag my apologies if i passed off as such.
    gd luck

Quote Originally Posted by clockbroke View Post
    ...Posting "newbie" linux questions here will only incite "holier than thou" responses from douche-bags who forgot that they were ever beginners themselves.

Good Luck.
    glad you went the extra mile on posting information that has absolutely nothing to do with backtrack, clockbroke. that is a really cool thing for you to do. thank god the OP doesn't have to actually search for the answer or go to one of the hundreds of forums set up specifically for those kinds of answers. while you are at it, maybe you could help me with a little problem i'm having;

whenever i turn my computer on, it makes this really weird noise and bubbles start coming out of the power supply. i'm sure it must be related to BT, since i installed it on this computer so i could be l33t like all my friends. i was a little hesitant to mention it, since this forum is filled with a bunch of "holier than thou" douche-bags... but you seem like a nice guy that has nothing better to do with his time.

thanks for stepping up, man.

oh, and while you are at it, perhaps you could be a swell guy and discuss in length with the OP all the reasons why double-posting on a forum makes you look like a ... hrmmm, well, you've already used "douche-bag", so I'll let you fill in the blank.
    Last edited by macphail; 01-11-2011 at 05:29 AM.
    -----------
    ~peace
    MacPhail

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by clockbroke View Post
    Yes. As alluded to by others, Backtrack is not designed for "Linux Learners." It's a specific distro for specific purposes. If you want to learn Linux, you're better off with popular 'standard' distros like Fedora or Ubuntu, which have lots of beginner support. Posting "newbie" linux questions here will only incite "holier than thou" responses from douche-bags who forgot that they were ever beginners themselves. Don't let such attitudes deter you from going open source, but at the same time - don't show up to a car race asking what a steering wheel is.

Good Luck.

Consider my infraction to you as a welcoming gift. Welcome to our forums. Now since you decided to join, and you clicked yes to following our rules, you will note that you agreed to not arguing with the mods' and their decisions when it comes to the performance of their duties here. A better approach would have been to report the post in question, and or PM the mod or any of the other forum staff members. Further I don't have time nor the inclination to deal with children here. I have two of my own.
    Again welcome to the forums!
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast