Thread: usb will not load

Just burned his ISO

Default usb will not load

Here is the hardware:

Windows 7 os in a new notebook pc, HP pavilion DV7, lots of space and plenty of ram and processor.

I am having a little bit of trouble getting the usb drives to open. It will not recognize them at all. The version that I have installed as a dual boot is the backtrack 4 r1.

I have tried to mount the usb thumb drives, but the system will not mount them. I've tired to look for the dir under a konsole window, no luck. Sometime the system will pick up the drives, but the files within the drives are not there. I know that there is text files there because I had written them and stored them onto the thumb drive when I had my other laptop with bt3 installed beside win xp. Any other ideas?

Thank you for your thoughts and comments.

Default Re: usb will not load

Can you be more specific about how you are trying to mount the USB devices? Did you read this?
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

yes I have tried some of the formats:

/dev/usb - no luck
    /usr/usb - no luck
    /mnt/usb - no luck
    /mnt/media/ - no luck
    I even opened Konsole and tried to see if the drive is able to show the files - no luck yet, but I am still trying different things.

However, The bt4 system will pick up that the usb is attached, but when I choose to open the drive, there is nothing there to be read.

"/system/media"

I think is the command that is used to locate the usb I do know that there are several text files, pdf files and a few kmdr files that are on the usb drive. I ran BT3 using vmware and the drive is readable from there, but not from bt4. I do not want to revert to bt3 because archangel stated that there is a few security flaws and bt4 is better. I agree, I just need the usb drive to be readable within my system.

To locate your flash drive plug it in and
    Code:
    dmesg | egrep hd.\|sd.
    Now you need to mount it (make sure mount point exist and if not create it)

Code:
    sudo mkdir /mnt/usb/ && sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sd* /mnt/usb/      #change sd* to your needs i.e sdc1
    If anything can go wrong, it will....

I do it the easy was, plug the usb stick in, go to the k menu and click storage and media, when the screen comes up its blank, just press the refresh button and all your drives and the usb stick will show up just click like normal and off you go! :-))