Thread: Services - Start Postgres FAILURE

Just burned his ISO

Question Services - Start Postgres FAILURE

Hello,
    While attempting to start the Post GRE SQL server, the following error is encountered:

chown: cannot access '/var/postgres/':No such file or directory
    postmaster cannot access the server configuration file "/var/postgres/postgresql.conf":No such file or directory

I have made a few adjustments to get the script to work, but I feel this should have a HowTo written for it so it can work the right way. I am surprised that nobody has posted any questions about the PGSQL services before. Anybody can point me to the correct way to get this running as root?

TIA.

well tell us what adjustments you have made...
    BilThomson, the answer is 42.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BassKilla View Post
    Hello,
    While attempting to start the Post GRE SQL server, the following error is encountered:

chown: cannot access '/var/postgres/':No such file or directory
    postmaster cannot access the server configuration file "/var/postgres/postgresql.conf":No such file or directory

I have made a few adjustments to get the script to work, but I feel this should have a HowTo written for it so it can work the right way. I am surprised that nobody has posted any questions about the PGSQL services before. Anybody can point me to the correct way to get this running as root?

TIA.
    I want to invite you to be the first to write a HOWTO on PGSQL
    It will be very much appreciated!

Just burned his ISO

Cool HowTo???

Well, first of all, it took the better part of four hours to figure it out. I wasn't taking notes, and Postgres was not running as root when I was finished, which has it's implications in other areas. I feel this is too difficult for somebody to step through if they are just booting from the CDROM and not have it installed locally like I did. I was hoping there was a Postgres guru out there that would be able to take one look at the script and know why it is not working and offer a simple fix that can be incorporated with the next release and not have to jump through hoops to get running. I understand this is the spirit of the open source world, and I would contribute if that person does not exist, which I would find hard to believe.

If I do write a lengthy how to (after I complete the three security assessments I have on my plate) How would I go about it and where would it posted?

TIA.

Quote Originally Posted by BassKilla View Post
    Well, first of all, it took the better part of four hours to figure it out. I wasn't taking notes, and Postgres was not running as root when I was finished, which has it's implications in other areas. I feel this is too difficult for somebody to step through if they are just booting from the CDROM and not have it installed locally like I did. I was hoping there was a Postgres guru out there that would be able to take one look at the script and know why it is not working and offer a simple fix that can be incorporated with the next release and not have to jump through hoops to get running. I understand this is the spirit of the open source world, and I would contribute if that person does not exist, which I would find hard to believe.

If I do write a lengthy how to (after I complete the three security assessments I have on my plate) How would I go about it and where would it posted?

TIA.
    You can post it in the "tutorials and guides" section, and I'm sure it will be stickied. In this way you are contributing to the community, thank you!!!