Thread: Intel 945GM chipset needs the new xserver-xorg-video-intel driver for high resolution

Default Intel 945GM chipset needs the new xserver-xorg-video-intel driver for high resolution

Hey all,

with the help of the forum threads i finally found the time to install the BT2 on my
    hard disk, dualing with WinXP. And i searched the HCL list for my Laptop, Dell Latitude D620, saying:

Intel 945GM chipset needs the new xserver-xorg-video-intel driver to run Xorg at higher resolutions.

I searched the forum, searched google, but didn't find any information/package for getting the driver updated to my BT2. If someone can help me on this issue this would be really appreciated...

-~operator~-
    The answer is 42.

Just burned his ISO

I was having this same issue. I found the driver available through the Slackware package repository. (I figured that since Backtrack was Slackware based, a TGZ file would allow for the simplest install). Since I am not allowed to post links yet, I will just give you the basic address and you can search for "intel" to find the driver. (packages.slackware.it).

NOTE: Installing this broke the X window system for me. I am trying to figure out how and why this happened. Once I fix it, I will keep you posted. If you're feeling adventurous try it and let me know how it worked for you.

Quote Originally Posted by hephaestus View Post
    I was having this same issue. I found the driver available through the Slackware package repository. (I figured that since Backtrack was Slackware based, a TGZ file would allow for the simplest install). Since I am not allowed to post links yet, I will just give you the basic address and you can search for "intel" to find the driver. (packages.slackware.it).

NOTE: Installing this broke the X window system for me. I am trying to figure out how and why this happened. Once I fix it, I will keep you posted. If you're feeling adventurous try it and let me know how it worked for you.
    BackTrack is Slax-based which is in turn Slackware-based, so there is an additional iteration there that could be causing problems.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

well, i did not use the slax repository because i am not familiar with it... my workaround was to use nvidia-originated linux display drivers, since i have the Quadro NVS 110M inside my laptop. So i used the linux x86 driver from nvidia and it works fine.
    The only thing was to set the max. resolution under System -> Nvidia x server settings to get it running on 1440 x 800.

i don't know if this is the right way but hey - it worked.
    The answer is 42.