Thread: Compatible Wireless cards

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Question Compatible Wireless cards

Started using BT4 the other day and have loved it so far. Was able to break my WEP key very easily after quite the bit of reading on the topic.
    Anyhow I want to turn a spare laptop into an AP and capture all the data flowing through it (prob using Airsnarf.) I'll probably be back to get some help since I cant find that much info about it. Anyhow my built in wireless card (Intel 4965) doesn't seem to support Master mode. I was able to find some supported cards for BT3 in the wiki but can't find anything really for BT4. I am looking for something that works well out of the box, supports ABG, is either PCMCIA or USB and will do everything I need for reasonably cheap. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Default Re: Compatible Wireless cards

lex0429,
    to turn your laptop into an AP all you have to do is to have a wifi-card, usb-pci-pcmcia, that supports injection. Then you can use airbase-ng to simulate an AP.

Now, if a card supports master mode (depends on drivers) then you can setup an AP even with WPA encryption. The only cards that I know and supports master mode are Atheros based. You can check here:
    Compatibility - madwifi-project.org - Trac

You can also download my script from 'old' forum and use it to simulate an AP. You can use it with any card that supports injection or with Atheros based cards in master mode (if supported). Check here:

How to: E-Z setup a Multi Mode WLAN based on a Fake AP - Remote Exploit Forums

I tested with BT4F and is working well at some point except some problems with the madwifi-ng drivers. Very soon I will post a BT4F full compatible version here, which will be the new home for my script.

Hope I helped.

Nick.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks very much for that information.
    I ordered a couple Proxim Orinoco Gold 8470-FC cards off ebay for like $10 each.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_the_Greek View Post
    to turn your laptop into an AP all you have to do is to have a wifi-card, usb-pci-pcmcia, that supports injection. Then you can use airbase-ng to simulate an AP.
    Thanks, you saved my day or maybe week. That is the information I have been searching for since last Friday. Was starting to get crazy, my wife did almost take out divorce after all these late nights.

Next step: Find out if airbase-ng works fine with AWUS036H. Which I guess it does, though it support injection.

Do you have your script somewhere else? The forum on remote-exploit is down.

lex0429,
    Did you get everything to work with your setup?

I recently picked up the Intel 4965 AGN for this HP DV6500. After locating the patch for the BIOS to remove the whitelist, I find that the Intel card is not supported by BT4r2. The reason I got the card initially is because it was on the list of compatible cards in this PC's manual, and it was also on the Commview For WiFi list @ tamos.com. Though I'd be willing to purchase a different card that is more compatible to BT4r2, I'd really like to use this one if I can. I also have the AWUS036H, but that is big and bulky, and I'd like to keep all needed hardware inside this machine.

I currently use a VM inside VMWare, but as soon as I get this 500 gig HDD installed, I plan to install BT4r2 for dual booting as there are too many quirks in between Windows7/VMWare/BackTrack 4 R2. I figure the dual boot will be more seamless to operate with. I've spent the last 2 or 3 years using and becoming familiar with Windows OS, and now I have to learn some of the ins and outs of Linux/BT4.

Since I am prepping for the dual boot, would I be better dual booting Ubuntu to use BT4, or can I just go with BT4 directly?

All assistance is greatly appreciated in advance.
    Last edited by sickness; 03-30-2011 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Fixed post.