Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally gonna ask for help.(cant get net)

Default Finally gonna ask for help.(cant get net)

I have a DWL-AG660 from D-link. Its an Atheros card and I am able to use Kismet/airodump-ng ect on it. My problem is that it simply cannot connect to the net. At once point I somehow managed to get it to connect to the net but it was a very temporary thing that only came with hours upon hours of tweaking with things I really don't understand. BT recognizes the card as soon as i plug it in. I do the following commands.

ifconfig ath0 up
    iwconfig ath0 essid linksys
    dhcpcd

it hangs on dhcpcd and then simply does not give me a connection. I believe I have gotten the card to work on windows as well so I don't believe the card is shot(also considering the fact it can read wireless networks and had once connected to it for a minuet). Ive spent at least a week trying to troubleshoot this problem with help of forums,irc, and the wiki but no luck as of yet. If anyone has experience with this card or has a general idea what I am doing wrong I would appreciate the help and if we can get this working maybe we will have our selfs a new sticky ^+^

ps. I have also tried multiple AP's.

Hey, I'm new here, but from what i learned is that when you run kismet or a few other programs, it sets you into Monitor Mode. So you have to set your card to Mode Managed in order to surf the web. So each time after you use kismet or any other Monitor Mode enabling program go open up a bash prompt, and type:

iwconfig <interface> mode managed

So in example you would type

iwconfig eth1 mode managed

My card is eth1 so just use your correct interface here. after that, just type:

ifconfig ath0 up
    dhcpcd

and your good to go

P.S.
    I'm guilty of using wifimanager to connect me to a AP, so cause of reading this I'm going to try to stop this. Also, you can type iwconfig to see the mode of your card. Cya

thanks for the help.. But I am afraid its not that simple. From what I have seen, Kismet does not put ath0 into monitor mode. It either makes a new device(ath1) that is in monitor mode, or it just creates the device(kis). My problem isn't that my device is in monitor mode

Oh, i see. Well i don't know much after that. i hope someone else has the answers you need.

Quote Originally Posted by pipboy View Post
    I have a DWL-AG660 from D-link. Its an Atheros card and I am able to use Kismet/airodump-ng ect on it. My problem is that it simply cannot connect to the net. At once point I somehow managed to get it to connect to the net but it was a very temporary thing that only came with hours upon hours of tweaking with things I really don't understand. BT recognizes the card as soon as i plug it in. I do the following commands.

ifconfig ath0 up
    dhcpcd

it hangs on dhcpcd and then simply does not give me a connection. I believe I have gotten the card to work on windows as well so I don't believe the card is shot(also considering the fact it can read wireless networks and had once connected to it for a minuet). Ive spent at least a week trying to troubleshoot this problem with help of forums,irc, and the wiki but no luck as of yet. If anyone has experience with this card or has a general idea what I am doing wrong I would appreciate the help and if we can get this working maybe we will have our selfs a new sticky ^+^

ps. I have also tried multiple AP's.
    I have the same exact problem, using Ubiquiti SRC 300mw

ifconfig ath0 down
    iwconfig ath0 essid linksys key xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    ifconfig ath0 up
    dhcpcd ath0

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    ifconfig ath0 down
    ifconfig ath0 up
    dhcpcd ath0
    Baxter, just wanted to say thanks for your posts. When you post it is always informative and clear. I'll try this when I get home and let you know if it worked. Thanks again.

every card i'v used and the two cards i have work with these commands. if it does hang at dhcpcd then take the card out then put it back in or turn it off then on again and start over. when it hangs for me, its always after using kismet. any other time it connects straight away.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    ifconfig ath0 down
    ifconfig ath0 up
    dhcpcd ath0
    This worked absolutely perfect. Its odd, I have used all these commands before as shown in every other tutorial but for some reason this particular order works. This needs to be added to some tutorial or maybe stickied?

Thanks a bunch Baxter, Come to Toronto sometime and ill get you a beer

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by pipboy View Post
    This worked absolutely perfect. Its odd, I have used all these commands before as shown in every other tutorial but for some reason this particular order works. This needs to be added to some tutorial or maybe stickied?

Thanks a bunch Baxter, Come to Toronto sometime and ill get you a beer

WOW!! I can finally connect to the internet!!!! Weird how this little 4 line tutorial actually worked for me...it really was the order in which you do the steps. I wasnt doing ifconfig <device> down .....but i did the rest and i couldnt get connected...but i did doing ifconfig <device> down first this time ...and WALLAH!!!
    Instant connect!!...THANKS Baxter!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast