Thread: some simple questions

Just burned his ISO

Red face some simple questions

Hi. I was hoping someone would be nice enough to answer some of my questions i do not think they will be too difficult.
    1. Is there a way i can start up in the GUI (runlevel 2+) and be logged in as root, i understand that there are security concerns, but when i tried making a user, and i gave it full moderator permissions i am still being flagged with permission erros and getting prompts to put in my password and it just seems rediculous and it won't allow me to log in as root, unless i go through command line and startx. Anyone know a solution to this?

2. In what file and where can i edit alias's to be perminently saved and built into all users. For example if i wanted to do " alias lol=clear " i'd like that to be built in.

3. I see that Wine is installed, i am dual booting XP/backtrack 4-2, when i tried using wine i'm not really sure what i'm doing, i checked wines webpage but didn't find much answers on how to configure it or what i need to do to use it correctly, do i have access to all my files and applications running on XP here on backtrack,or what's up with this?

Sorry in advance if i'm a noob i'm really trying to learn and as usual if i posted in the wrong section please be kind enough to move it for me. Thanks ^_^

Default Re: some simple questions

Quote Originally Posted by deeblackangel View Post
    Hi. I was hoping someone would be nice enough to answer some of my questions i do not think they will be too difficult.
    1. Is there a way i can start up in the GUI (runlevel 2+) and be logged in as root, i understand that there are security concerns, but when i tried making a user, and i gave it full moderator permissions i am still being flagged with permission erros and getting prompts to put in my password and it just seems rediculous and it won't allow me to log in as root, unless i go through command line and startx. Anyone know a solution to this?
    Yeah, you just... log on as root. KDE by default may prevent you from logging on as root if you start the GUI using something like kdm, but you can change the KDE configuration to disable the option that prevents root logons. Google for the solution.

Quote Originally Posted by deeblackangel View Post
    3. I see that Wine is installed, i am dual booting XP/backtrack 4-2, when i tried using wine i'm not really sure what i'm doing, i checked wines webpage but didn't find much answers on how to configure it or what i need to do to use it correctly, do i have access to all my files and applications running on XP here on backtrack,or what's up with this?
    Wine lets you run Windows binaries on Linux. It doesnt work for all programs, but for those it does work for you just launch the executable using wine.

e.g.

Code:
    wine exe1.exe
    In some cases you might need to install a program before running it. You do this like so:

Code:
    wine setup.exe
    ...or whatever the installer is called it its not setup.exe. You will need to add path qualifiers as appropriate. wine will setup a faux Windows c drive under your ~/.wine/ directory where it stores installed programs if you need to find them after install.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Thank you lupin[3rd]. I did a google search and only came back with this :

To enable login as root in KDE open /usr/local/share/config/kdm/kdmrc and change the line
    AllowRootLogin=false
    to
    AllowRootLogin=true

That sounded good and all but when i tried doing that, the file wasn't there as listed. I tried using grep and and find and less commands to limit down the searches but it just runs through every scritpt for every user. Someone else said:
    /opt/kde/share/config/kdm

is where it's located at, which i did find that directory but there were a lot of files within there and i wasn't sure which one to edit.
    It would appear there are no simple answers for finding this on google could you please help me better understand how to change this.

I'd do a find for the kdmrc file.

Instead of logging onto the GUI as root, you also might want to consider setting up a non privileged user to use for logging in and then use sudo/su to run things as root when required - thats what I do. There is a tutorial here covering how to setup an unprivileged user for BT4 Final - only minor adjustments are required for the later releases.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

for anyone who needs help with this i found a great tutorial
    NOT USING GOOGLE, actually used BING for the first time and wouldn't ya know it i found what i was looking for...

How to Set, Manage, and Use a Linux Alias

It explains how to set aliases permanently
    1. Start > System Menu > Home Folder
    2. Navigate to ETC/ > then find the bash.bashrc file
    3. Right click > actions > and edit as root
    4. Scroll to VERY bottom of page and insert the command
    example : alias lol=clear
    then save as and double click the file bash.bashrc to overwrite the existing file

WARNING, this is a very important file please do not edit or attempt to do anything like this without some experience. I learned vi in SUSE and it is NOT the same as in backtrack but some fundamental things are the same.

Now whenever i have a console screen up i can just type "lol" and it clears the page... u can do this with any command, sorry if i'm being redundant i just wanted to potentially help anyone who has the same problem.