Thread: hey few questions before i run BT

Just burned his ISO thunderchild's Avatar

Default hey few questions before i run BT

hello community

(first post)

total noob with BT, linux not so.

1) want to run BT on my Dell Inspiron 1011 10v running Mac OSX.6.5 via a live USB drive any one done this? if so what was your experience? any BT legacies effecting Chameleon NBI? shouldn't be as i run a puppy live distro with no problems , but best to ask..

2) in the BT 'how do stuff' the best practice on making a live usb BT stick is to use the image "BT 4 final iso", but is that just because no ones got round to changing it to "BT 4 RC2 iso" or is "BT 4 final" the best to use for a usb stick..

thanks..

Default Re: hey few questions before i run BT

It's BT R2 not RC2.
    Regarding the question about the live USB try and see if it works and the guide applies to R2 also, you just have to make the necessary changes.
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !

Quote Originally Posted by sickness View Post
    It's BT R2 not RC2.
    Regarding the question about the live USB try and see if it works and the guide applies to R2 also, you just have to make the necessary changes.
    lol sorry that's my hackintosh head there, rc step (release candidate) .. okay I'll try R2 first.

thanks.

its also important to note, that this is ubuntu, works like ubuntu acts like ubuntu

the package source is NOT offical ubuntu repos, has a modified kernel and a bunch of software installed and working for you which is ... backtrack
    "When you get frustrated, you can swear at it:
    tell me how to spoof a ****ing wireless AP - Google Search" -ThePistonDoctor

Quote Originally Posted by spudgunman View Post
    its also important to note, that this is ubuntu, works like ubuntu acts like ubuntu

the package source is NOT offical ubuntu repos, has a modified kernel and a bunch of software installed and working for you which is ... backtrack

hey spudgunman (cool name)

ubuntu yeah! i read that, i don't see any probs, learning curve here but been with buntie since duck ermm drake, dapper drake or was it the goat thing?, wanted to check out BT for a while, got all i need, start it off after xmas.. probably have loads of Q's then..

happy xmas every one.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spudgunman View Post
    Uhh I hate to burst your bubble here, but BackTrack is based off of Ubuntu. It is not however Ubuntu, and does not necessarily work like Ubuntu. Just one thing of note, Ubuntu will automatically mount everything it finds on a local machine. BT does not do this.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel-Amael View Post
    Uhh I hate to burst your bubble here, but BackTrack is based off of Ubuntu. It is not however Ubuntu, and does not necessarily work like Ubuntu. Just one thing of note, Ubuntu will automatically mount everything it finds on a local machine. BT does not do this.
    For the purpose of this thread I think my comments were relevant, minor things like mounting are hardly what makes BT differ from Ubuntu to someone who has "linux knowledge" but not "backtrack knowledge" things like "how to install a package in ubuntu/debian" vs "how to install package in BSD" are along the lines of thought in my comment. If you know Debian/ubuntu BT isnt a learning curve its just another day.

Also ubuntu is the most supported linux distro out there in the public world, so if someone googles "how to fix this in ubuntu" 98% of the time it will apply to BT again the reference for the comment.

happy holidays Mr.A-A keep your post button off my bubble.
    "When you get frustrated, you can swear at it:
    tell me how to spoof a ****ing wireless AP - Google Search" -ThePistonDoctor