Thread: Wireless not working in bt4-rc2

Just burned his ISO

Default Wireless not working in bt4-rc2

I have wireless set to auto start at boot time ... update rc.d networking defaults
    iwconfig shows both wlan0 and wlan1 as being there. wlan0 is my internal intel card
    wlan1 is my alfa
    ifconfig only shows wlan1 after i put it up... i did not used to have to do this with all previous versions. and no wlan0... ifconfig wlan0 up tells me SIOCSIFFLAGS: unnknown error 132

when using wicd to connect to my network which is wpa i get the error "bad password"
    this is incorrect i have check and double checked everything I can think of. I did a fresh install of backtrack and still the same issue.
    im sure i am missing something dumb but I do not know what. please tell me what else I can try.
    thanks in advance for your help I never had any issues like this before.

Default Re: Wireless not working in bt4-rc2

Did you read the FAQ or searched for the error code you have?
    Or maybe? Don't do a autostart, but connect manually to try.
    Good luck.

Just burned his ISO

Doing it manually worked for me.

Just burned his ISO

Ok so manual worked for me as well about half of the time. and my internal does not at all. does anyone maybe the devs. know a command that i can run that if I were to reinstall rc1 side by side with rc2 and see for sure what the difference is between the two on my same box. I dont know if that makes since but i think it might show me more?
    thanks again. I just want to have everything working perfectly like it was before.

First of all it's Backtrack R2 not RC2, second you could start by giving us more details, like the type of your card, the output of some used commands as well as lcpci, what you have tried to make it work, have you tried to disable encryption ?

Seriously if you want our help you should give more details about your problem.
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !

It's quite a common error when using a realtek 8187 card in vmware, search around on the forums, there was a post about it one or two weeks ago I think.
    Student Systems Administration and Network Engineering, second year.
    Don't PM me with questions, unless very specific. Otherwise, use the forums so everyone can potentially benefit from it.

I had the same problem it has to do with the kernel update from 2.6.30 to 2.6.34. In bt4r2 with the kernel 2.6.35 is the same problem. In bt4r1 you would have to download the rfkill.

Code:
    root@bt:~# apt-get install rfkill
    But luckly in bt4r2 the rfkill is preinstalled. So the next commands would be...

1. Reload the wifi model after boot using lsmod | grep rt command to find the exact name of the modual.
    Code:
    root@bt:~# lsmod | grep rt
    That command should out put the moduals contaning the letters rt. My output is rtl8187.

2. Then fix with these commands which worked for me.
    Code:
    root@bt~# rmmod rtl8187
    NOTE: where the rtl8187 is the modual that you got from the lsmod command.
    Code:
    root@bt~# rfkill block all
    Code:
    root@bt~# rfkill unblock all
    Code:
    root@bt~# modprobe rtl18187
    Code:
    root@bt~# ifconfig wlan0 up
    NOTE: With the airmon-ng command I found to be wlan0 to be my interface.

Now that all worked for me and the other post that had this was very hard to understand knowing im a new user myself. But I was able to figure it out and give it to you cleaned up.

After this worked for me the new kernals make my wifi usb card load very slowly. It wasnt like this in bt4 final, bt4r1 before kernal 2.6.43. I was wondering if some one knew how to make my card load faster. This is what I have.

I have a dual core cpu with windows 7 using vmware workstation 7. I have a gsky usb wifi that I can share with the vmware. I use bt4r2 and when I connect my usb to it everything freezes up, and i mean everything. I wait a while and then it starts to load a very long while. Everything else works smoothly but it is very slow to load. This also happens in xubuntu. So why does it slow load after linux-image-2.6-30? My usb wifi does not freez up in BT4 final and BT4R1 with linux-image-2.6.30.

So whats going on? how can I check the load up time for my wifi?

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by minicoop78 View Post
    I have wireless set to auto start at boot time ... update rc.d networking defaults
    iwconfig shows both wlan0 and wlan1 as being there. wlan0 is my internal intel card
    wlan1 is my alfa
    ifconfig only shows wlan1 after i put it up... i did not used to have to do this with all previous versions. and no wlan0... ifconfig wlan0 up tells me SIOCSIFFLAGS: unnknown error 132

when using wicd to connect to my network which is wpa i get the error "bad password"
    this is incorrect i have check and double checked everything I can think of. I did a fresh install of backtrack and still the same issue.
    im sure i am missing something dumb but I do not know what. please tell me what else I can try.
    thanks in advance for your help I never had any issues like this before.

i found this on ubuntu forums under siocsifflags from niclausmichel [ubuntu] SIOCSIFFLAGS: Unknown error 132 - Ubuntu Forums
    rmmod ath5k
    rfkill block all
    rfkill unblock all
    modprobe ath5k
    rfkill unblock all
    ifconfig wlan0 up

and it work for me after a couple of hours of serching
    on hp intel-dual core ath5k driver
    good luck