Thread: hd install prob :::braces for flames::::

Just burned his ISO

Unhappy hd install prob :::braces for flames::::

Ok, I have search this forum, I have googled until my eyes bled and I have not been able to find a fix for the problem I have run into. I have been attempting to follow the install instructions from offensive security site (it's a pdf, I am unable to find the link right now) that states to partition the disk with 3 partitions. /dev/hda1 50MB marked as boot, /dev/hda2 512MB configed as linux swap, and finally the last partition to the remainder of the drive. My drive is 30gb in an hp nc6000 laptop. I follow all the directions exactly,and it just won't work. I even had my wife go through it to make sure I'm not just seeing what I want to versus what is written. I found a post that stated just create one partition and try to install on that, that fails as well. Today, desperate, I tried to run the install on another pc, an older compaq desktop. The laptop gives me the error "error loading operating system" the compaq just won't boot. I have run disk diags on both systems hard drives and have successfully re-installed solaris on the compaq and windows xp pro on the laptop. I had BT2 installed on this laptop once before but wiped it for a different project. I'm wondering if I'm having problems because of the final release from March 2007. I can't find the other BT2 beta releases all the links appear dead. I'm thinking that something is wrong with the final bt2 release in how it handles the MBR when installing from Xwindows...is anyone else experiencing this?
    HELP!!!

Just burned his ISO

Default hrmmm

ok, no kidding right after posting that I found a thread where apparently others are having this difficulty and a fix was listed and I'm a step closer...so now instead of the not booting at all it appears to be booting from the hard drive and gets to a point and just stops and gives an error about the hard drive. So I think there might be a config with lilo...i'm looking at it now to try and track it down. If anyone even *thought* about posting I appreciate it.

Developer

boot = /dev/hda
    delay = 200
    prompt
    timeout = 200
    bitmap=/boot/splash.bmp
    change-rules
    reset
    vga = 0x317
    default = Windows
    image = /boot/vmlinuz
    root = current
    initrd = /boot/splash.initrd
    label = BackTrack_V2
    read-write

#backtrack v1
    image = /mnt/hda5/boot/vmlinuz
    root = /dev/hda5
    label = BackTrack_V1
    read-write

#windows
    other = /dev/hda1
    label = Windows
    table = /dev/hda1

Try this just leave out the backtrack version 1 on hda5 part and windows if your not dual booting. May i also sugest using the command line to copy and install backtrack instead of the installer .It worked much better for me. I also remembered that i think lilo writes to hda as a default so if your sda you must chroot into the new install to edit lilo