Thread: Intel wifi link 5100 Agn. Unrecognized by Backtrack.

Just burned his ISO

Thumbs up Intel wifi link 5100 Agn. Unrecognized by Backtrack.

Let's solve this theme once for all. Well, I never start tread without googling or searching forum. I have been searching for solution a week without any success. While i was using Backtrack 3 over VM(virtual machine) , I saw that i need some new kernel(i am new with linux). I checked out with "uname -r" and it was 2.6.21.5 so i heard if i download Backtrack 4 that it comes with newer version of kernel and it's true. I checked on Backtrack 4 it was 2.6.30.9 and i thought in myself weeeeeeeee it will work. And i type airmon-ng and saw nothing. Still not recognized i also tried /etc/init.d/networking start on both versions without success. If there is some patching that i need to do post checked tutorials(correct links, 100% working). I saw million similar titles but there is nowhere true correct answer. As i said lets finish this theme once for all.
    Thanks a lot!
    Aleksandar

Default Re: Intel wifi link 5100 Agn. Unrecognized by Backtrack.

Are you running Backtrack 4 in VMware as well? If that's the case, I don't think it'll ever work...haven't you got to use an USB Wireless card with vmware?

Just burned his ISO

So you want to say that i must buy USB wireless card no way
    If i burn my iso on cd(if i do not use vmware) will it work? Should i download
    Backtrack USB version with wireless drivers applied?! Give some better solution dude.. Anyway thanks VERY much for posting back!
    Aleksandar

No I'm not telling you to buy one, just letting you know I think you'll need one if you want to use it in a virtual environment.

But yes you're right if you want to use CD/USB you should be fine, depends how you want to set up backtrack, persistent etc. plenty of tutorials out there.

Have a look at the 'similar threads' section below, they're all about your particular wireless card. It appears you need to update the driver and apply patch to get it fully working, but I've never used this particular card so I can't comment further.

Just as a note, I managed to buy the ALFA AWUS036H fairly cheap and it works flawlessly with vmware. If you look through the HCL though you will see that Citruspers has done a great write up on a cheaper alternative.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Jimmy!
    I have to say though, that the realtek R8187 (no matter how great they are), do suffer from a weird bug sometimes in vmware with a newer backtrack version (SIOCSYSFLAGS error): http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...ror-132-a.html
    Student Systems Administration and Network Engineering, second year.
    Don't PM me with questions, unless very specific. Otherwise, use the forums so everyone can potentially benefit from it.

No problem

Well confession time, still using BT4 Final with VMware and all seems well, I did have a read through that thread and it seems as though it should work if it's plugged in after backtrack has booted (Something that I have noticed in BT4 Final too though, sometimes it wouldn't even recognize that the device was there until I rebooted it with the card plugged in!!)
    It also looks like it's more of a vmware issue, I've got BT4 R2 ready to go though so will be switching over soon!