Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with Shared Folders

Default Problems with Shared Folders

First off I have a dual core laptop with windows 7 ultimate x64. I use vmware 7 and loaded BackTrack 4R2. I also did an update with 'apt-get update', 'apt-get upgrade', and 'apt-get dist-upgrade' before and after I installed samba. I did that by reinstalling thinking I did something wrong.

I installed samaba though Konsole.
    Code:
    root@bt:~# apt-get install samba
    Everything installed fine and perfectly. But as soon as I clicked on shared folders in the kmenu of the system menu. I get prompted with a "Unsupported platform" box with linux distros list. On top of that list it says this,

Code:
    If you know for sure that it works like one of the platforms listed below, you can
    select that and continue. Note, however, that this might damage the system 
    configuration or downright cripple your computer.
    Now of course I know BT4 is based off of ubuntu so I scroll down and select Ubuntu Linux in that list. Also, I know its off of version 8 so I select that one. But once the Shared folder box pops up it says.

Code:
    sharing services are not installed

You need to install at leat either Samba or
    NFS in order to share your folders.

Install Unix networks support (NFS)

Install windows networks support (SMB)
    Of course with the close and Install services buttons. So I click Install services button and I get prompted with that same box that I have not installed. So I close it and everything is fine but when I need to bring it up again its the same thing. But this time when I close it, it gets greyd out. After I reboot I get it to work but its all the same problem.

Is there a better way of doing this? I've been googleing and reading forms in here and no help. Or is there a way to fix this? Some direction would be appreciated. Also if I didn't provide enough information just let me know and I will tell you. I believe this is all the information since I am new. But any help would be helpfull or point me in the right direction.

Default Re: Problems with Shared Folders

Personally I find Samba to be a right pain in the a$$ and avoid it unless I absolutely must have a Windows style (CIFS) share. if not, there are many other easier ways to do file transfers to and from a Linux box - an ssh server for example, already installed on BT just ready to be started up, will support scp and sftp, which are both excellent file transfer methods. Also, what about the inbuilt shared folder support in VmWare? I don't have a lot of experience with it on VMWare, but the VirtualBox shared folder support I have used on BT doesn't need Samba.

If it absolutely must be CIFS, then Id recommend you find one of the start to finish Samba installation and configuration guides on the net. Avoid using KDE tools to administer it, in my experience those just add unnecessary complication, stick to using SWAT or manual editing of the config files (though mainly SWAT). So find a guide that tells you how to configure it using SWAT, preferably one that uses the Ubuntu distro, and use that - thats what I did the last time I had to use Samba. The process was still irritating, but it did work. Eventually.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

I know we havent mentioned SMB but thats what I have used for now and works pretty well for transferring files.

So in a Konquerer windows type smb://"ip address"and you should get username and password prompt

Otherwise you can try this in Konsole/Bash...
    smbclient \\\\"ip address"\\"sharename" -U "Useraccount" -W "Domain or Workgroup" and from there use get/mget/mput to transfer files

I dont have much experience with this but eventually get a file or two copied across

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    Personally I find Samba to be a right pain in the a$$ and avoid it unless I absolutely must have a Windows style (CIFS) share.
    Apparently. You generally don't describe things that way.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel-Amael View Post
    Apparently. You generally don't describe things that way.
    I was in a colourful mood at the time I made that post

The sentiment is accurate though - Samba is much more complicated to setup than it needs to be.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

I agree 1,000%. Samba is more annoying than Miley Cyrus on salvia (+1 for anyone who gets that reference lol)
    cd ~
    cd ./fridge
    rm beer
    cd ../bedroom
    more beer

Like most of you I also found samba to be a pain in the ass. I am still learning and wish to learn more like ssh server, and SWAT. But since I am new and still learning samba is what I have to work with which is kind of sad. But I have to start some where.

With that said, Thank You lupin for pointing me in the right direction which helped me figure it out. I will make a video later, for new users like my self thats having this problem. And for some crazy reson we new users just need to have samba. Here is what I did to make it work.

NOTES: From samaba tutorial website.
    samba setup and configuration

shares-admin::::: which is the gui for "Shared folders" it doesn't work, so manual is a must....

1. Install samba simple enough for BT4R2 it should be version 3.2.3
    Code:
    root@bt:~# apt-get install samba
    2. To make sure it's installed use next command.
    Code:
    root@bt:~# smbd -V
    version 3.2.3
    root@bt:~#
    3. Backup the smb.conf file it should be in /etc/samba/ folder
    Code:
    root@bt:~# cp /etc/samba/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf.backup
    4. Edit the smb.conf file with your favorit text editor I will be using gedit.
    Code:
    root@bt:~# gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf
    Wich should pop up the gedit text editor. I would erase everything in there since
    I'm starting out fresh and I also have the backup. Also, I would put this in that text file.
    Code:
    # Global Parameters

[global]
    workgroup = home
    netbios name = samba
    encrypt passwords = yes

#[homes]
    #read only = no
    #browseable = no

#[music]
    #path = /data/mp3
    #browseable = yes
    #write list = mw, name

#[everyone]
    #path = /data/everyone
    #read only = no
    #browseable = yes

#[apps]
    #path = /data/apps
    #browseable = yes
    #valid user = @admins, root
    #write list = @admins, root
    NOTE:
    [global] #This is what all your settings will be.

workgroup = home #This is your workgroup, it is important to have both of your pc's with the same name.

netbios name = samba #This is the name that will be displayed to other pc's. If you leave this blank it will be your defualt name. In this case bt because of root@bt...

encrypt passwords = yes #This is the password to log into the folder. Yes or no is the only two options, yes to encrypt and no to not encrypt.

[homes] #This is the desktop I would not use it but if you want to get files from your linux box then take off the pound sign's from both the read only and browseable.

[music]
    [everyone]
    [apps]
    #These are the folders which I leave for examples. This is what I did was create a folder on my desktop named 'Shared files'. Take a good note where the folder you made is and then create something like this using the examples above.
    Code:
    [shared Files]
    path = /root/Shared files
    read only = no
    browseable = yes
    I added that to the bottom of smb.conf file where all that top text is at.

NOTE:
    Use something smaller then 'Shared files', like 'share' but just to show you it works this way with big names. Also note smaller and easy names are simple to remember and not so messy.

NOTE1: [shard files]
    Inside the brakets is the name that will show up to the other pc's.

NOTE2: path = /root/Shared files
    In the path section remember to spell it correctly capital letters where needed and all.

NOTE3: read only = no
    By default Samba will always make any directory read only for security reasons,
    so we need to let Samba know that we want to be able to write to this directory.
    #NOTE3 This is a copy and paste from the website. #

NOTE4: browseable = yes
    If you want people to see then put yes ofcourse.

5. Add users and password to samba.

5.1 Remeber to replace john to what every name you wish.
    Code:
    root@bt:~# useradd -d /home/john -s /bin/false -n john
    5.2 And again replace john to the name you made in step 5.1. This will create a new password for that user.
    Code:
    root@bt:~# passwd john
    Changing password for user john
    new UNIX password:
    Retype new Unix Password:
    passwd: all authenticateion tokens updated sucessfully
    5.3 In this step I will add a password to the user for samba. I will use root for mine, If you did something like john then replace root with john in the command.
    Code:
    root@bt:~# smbpasswd -a root
    New SMB password:
    Retype new SMB Password:
    Added user root.
    root@bt:~#
    6. Now restart samba
    NOTE:You might have to just reboot backtrack.
    Code:
    root@bt:~# /etc/init.d/samba restart
    Stopping Samba daemons: nmbd smbd.
    Starting Samba daemons: nmbd smbd.
    root@bt:~@
    NOTE: you should be albe to enjoy

I will make a youtube video, I just hope I look professional which I probably wont. But any who I will look more into ssh and SWAT which I have but I'm still reading. I hope this helps someone out there in Back Track.

Good tutorial. I have dealt w/ Samba a lot and hate it for this reason. SSH is ready by default in BT, all you have to do is start the server and go.
    cd ~
    cd ./fridge
    rm beer
    cd ../bedroom
    more beer

Quote Originally Posted by ThePistonDoctor View Post
    Good tutorial. I have dealt w/ Samba a lot and hate it for this reason. SSH is ready by default in BT, all you have to do is start the server and go.
    Thank you for your comment. I have loaded SSH but I do not know what to do from there and it makes me feel like a novice, which sad to say but I am. But never the less I am learning and hopefully I do master it. I know for smarter people it's easy and after I learn it I'm going to be kicking my self for not knowing it sooner. Probably tell myself "why didn't I learn it sooner".

To novices aka new users here is my youtube video just for you.

MOD EDIT: Link removed

I would suggest muting my voice but thats up to you.

bliptv link
    Backtrack 4r2 file shareing for dummies
    Last edited by fightclub; 12-17-2010 at 12:49 PM. Reason: adding a blip tv link

No youtube videos here, upload your video on blip.tv, vimeo.
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast