Thread: backtrack 4 not showing partitions

Just burned his ISO

Question backtrack 4 not showing partitions

hello.

i have a problem.i have first ubuntu 8.04 LTS.and now i want to install backtrack 4.i try to install with software (unetbootin).when i install i cannot find partitions.
    setup can scan the partitions but there nothing appear.i try 2 3 times but same problem.
    can some one tell me what i do.
    please reply me i want to install now.

thx

Default Re: backtrack 4 not showing partitions

is it USB installation you are talking about?
    ,, It's the flower of light in the field of darkness that's giving me the strength to carry on.,,
    Eli says:,,No, it's, uh, Johnny Cash, Live at Folsom Prison,,

you need to be more specific

wich type of drive are u using ?

is it formatable ? a flashmem stick ? a ide or sata drive ? a mmhd ?

you should check out wich indexing system ( example: fat32, fat16, ntfs...) you need to install bt....

if u netbootin does not work, that means, that either the drive is edged( meaning it has a restricted acces field due to previous installations) or it is not compatible with your system. try formatting the drive with software, but not creating a partition with that software..... to create a partition you must use unetbootin.... usually, if u have a BT4 image , all you need todo is select the image within unetbootin... and the indexing options will be automaticly chosen.....

Just burned his ISO

Exclamation Re: backtrack 4 not showing partitions

Quote Originally Posted by kismet View Post
    you need to be more specific

wich type of drive are u using ?

is it formatable ? a flashmem stick ? a ide or sata drive ? a mmhd ?

you should check out wich indexing system ( example: fat32, fat16, ntfs...) you need to install bt....

if u netbootin does not work, that means, that either the drive is edged( meaning it has a restricted acces field due to previous installations) or it is not compatible with your system. try formatting the drive with software, but not creating a partition with that software..... to create a partition you must use unetbootin.... usually, if u have a BT4 image , all you need todo is select the image within unetbootin... and the indexing options will be automaticly chosen.....
    hi
    well i use sata drive with ahci. and i use unetbootin.and that softwae automaticly run the iso file.and i also try with console to make partitions or format but when i use this cmd: fdisk /dev/sda or fdisk /dev/hdc i got this error unable to open /dev/hdc or unable to open /dev/sda. i am in root.i don't understand what i do. can someone know please help me.

Just burned his ISO

Hi!

I'm having the same problem. I did some nasty work in order to get BT4 booting to a user interface: http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...t-install.html (I cannot boot from CD-ROM/DVD, nor can I boot from USB, nor can I boot from SD, nor can I boot from PXE (theoretically I should, but doesn't for me)

I tried the method in the second post and that pretty much worked, but now, when I try to install it using install.sh, non of my partitions get recognised. So I booted back into my WinXP (yes, I'd like to dual boot this with BT4), and created some unallocated space. The installer still wasn't able to find this, but "cfdisk" in konsole was. So i created a "Linux" partition and hoped it would work, but again it didn't.

cfdisk gives:
    hda1 boot Primary NTFS [ ] 44038.15 MB
    hda2 Primary Linux 15973.50 MB

fdisk gives:
    fdisk /dev/hda (for first IDE disk)
    fdisk .dev.sdc (for the third SCSI disk)
    fdisk /dev/eda (for the first PS/2 ESDI drive)
    fdisk /dev/rd/c0d0 or: fdisk /dev/ida/c0d0 (for RAID devices)

I'm using a Toshiba protege m200. I hope I gave enough information on this.
    Now I'm really hoping that someone can help me out.

Thanks a lot!

Just burned his ISO

I think it might have something to do with the Toshiba RAID drivers?
    Or with the fact that I'm booting from the DOS partition (/boot and /caspar are on that partition)?
    I deleted the "Linux" partition and now I have some free unallocated space again, but still the installer does not see it... (while cfdisk does). What are the options for me? Can I manually install backtrack 4 to that partition? Or is there an easier way to make the "BT4 installer" find my partitions?

Thanks a lot for help