Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running Backtrack 4 in VMWare > Wordlist location in Hard drive, & Handshake problem

Default Running Backtrack 4 in VMWare > Wordlist location in Hard drive, & Handshake problem

Hi I am able to crack WEP somewhat easy, but not too easy. I'm trying to learn how to crack WPA. I'm running Backtrack 4 VM on VMWare. My question is when I run the command to load the wordlist, how do I know where to put the wordlist in my hard drive? What I mean is, in backtrack it goes like this> "root/tools/wordlist/dictionaries/passw.lst" instead of c:/root/tools/wordlist/dictionaries/passw.lst

I am also having a hard time trying to get a handshake. What is the key to getting a handshake with an Access point? Is it that a computer or client has to be connected with that access point? Because I can't get it to handshake, it send tons of packets to the Access point, but get nothing in return.

Default Re: Running Backtrack 4 in VMWare > Wordlist location in Hard drive, & Handshake prob

You haven't given enough information to adequately answer your question about loading wordlists. For the most part you can store things wherever you want on your hard drive, but you'll want to know where so you can retrieve or use it when you need it.

My recommendation for information on both acquiring a handshake and wordlist management is to read up on the particular tools you intend on using, and also the technologies involved. Some reading will teach you about WPA and why you need a handshake. It's important to understand how technologies work in order to effectively use the tools to exploit them.

You'll find info all over the forum and the interwebs.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Running Backtrack 4 in VMWare > Wordlist location in Hard drive, & Handshake prob

you can put your wordlist wherever you want. U have just to give aircrack,cowpatty... the correct path to it.
    the key is that there have to be a client, which is already connected to the AP.
    Then you can disconnect him with deauth attacks (aireplay). When he connects back you should catch the handshake in airodump.
    There are many many tutorials out there about WPA stuff.
    ...h43z
    edit: 2late
    Last edited by me.haez; 12-10-2010 at 04:40 PM.
    www.h43z.tk --blog

Quote Originally Posted by me.haez View Post
    you can put your wordlist wherever you want. U have just to give aircrack,cowpatty... the correct path to it.
    the key is that there have to be a client, which is already connected to the AP.
    Then you can disconnect him with deauth attacks (aireplay). When he connects back you should catch the handshake in airodump.
    There are many many tutorials out there about WPA stuff.
    ...h43z
    edit: 2late
    I understand everything you typed except for the part about how to use the aircrack command to locate the wordlist file on my hard drive. ok example, if my word list file is in d:\wordlist\passwords.txt , how do I run the aircrack command to open that password.txt file in that directory. that's what I don't understand. I do watch a lot of tutorials online about WPA cracking. but when I see the cracker typing in root\wordlist\pw.txt <<??? it doesn't specify which hard drive the file is located in, how would aircrack know ? that's what I don't understand. I'm new to WPA cracking and so if I see examples, I can learn real fast. By the way thanks guys for the response!

Is this your situation;

Vmware running BackTrack >
    Using Windows to run Vmware?

If you've got your wordlist on the d:\drive of your windows setup, I don't think you can have backtrack inside vmware to point to that location. You'd need to make a share on your windows machine and then find it in backtrack by going to smb://I.P.ADDRESS./SHARE

If that's the case then I don't *think* you can make aircrack point to that location. I have tried this before with no success but it doesn't mean that it's not possible, I just wasn't able to do it, someone else with more expertise should be able to clarify this..

you should read up on some basic linux commands, such as mount and fdisk

Code:
    man mount
    linux (and therefore backtrack) don't see your drives as c:, d: etc.
    proud user of backtrack-ng and aircrack-linux

Follow sagaci's recommendation:

You need to mount /dev/sdxx /mnt/folder

With regards to using the tools to specify wordlist location.

Enjoy

Thanks you guys, I figured out how to load wordlists now, seems very easy once you figure it out. /root = desktop of backtrack4 and it shows the directory in the konquer explorer for each folder. But what's weird is that .Pyrit folder does not seem to show. Is it a hidden folder , just like there are hidden folders in windows?

Apologies for the belated response and I do hope this will generate some more feedback. I am in the same boat as nam5301. I have BT4R2 loaded on VMware which in turn is also loaded on my Windows 7 based PC. I am semi fluent with Windows OS and am slowly being introduced to Linux via the use of Back Track. The difference between the 2 is definitely intimidating, but the interest in this field of research has me by the rocks and so I press on.

I have some word lists on my external that I could copy back to my PC, and I presume my Virtual Machines folder would be the most ideal place to put it/them for ease of access since VMware is already loading my BT4 from that folder. I just get lost trying to get BT4 to communicate with Win7 for the txts that are domiciled there. nam5301, would you please clearly depict the methods you used to get Konqueror to locate your wordlists in your C or D drives?

As far as accessing a D: drive in Windows, well the norm is that Windows uses that letter for backups, but if the user chooses not to backup data via Windows as I have chosen, then that letter is up for grabs to the next device in line so nam is more than free to paste his word lists there.

All replies are appreciated in advance. Peace

Apologies for the belated response and I do hope this will generate some more feedback. I am in the same boat as nam5301. I have BT4R2 loaded on VMware which in turn is also loaded on my Windows 7 based PC. I am semi fluent with Windows OS and am slowly being introduced to Linux via the use of Back Track. The difference between the 2 is definitely intimidating, but the interest in this field of research has me by the rocks and so I press on.

I have some word lists on my external that I could copy back to my PC, and I presume my Virtual Machines folder would be the most ideal place to put it/them for ease of access since VMware is already loading my BT4 from that folder. I just get lost trying to get BT4 to communicate with Win7 for the txts that are domiciled there. nam5301, would you please clearly depict the methods you used to get Konqueror to locate your wordlists in your C or D drives?

As far as accessing a D: drive in Windows, well the norm is that Windows uses that letter for backups, but if the user chooses not to backup data via Windows as I have chosen, then that letter is up for grabs to the next device in line so nam is more than free to paste his word lists there.

All replies are appreciated in advance. Peace
    So are you wanting to locate a word list on your external (drive i guess you meant?) - would that be a usb drive or the windows C and D partitions? I think that this is getting all confused, nam5301 I think was just looking for the desktop path of BACKTRACK, not the desktop path of WINDOWS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast