Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backtrack 4, won't boot up into GUI mode, stuck at initial command terminal.

Just burned his ISO

Default Backtrack 4, won't boot up into GUI mode, stuck at initial command terminal.

Hey guys. I'm kinda new, though I've used Backtrack 4 before.

I know that when you first boot up the live cd, you have to enter "startx". I had a laptop, and it used to work fine. But then I upgrade to an HP laptop, and when I enter "startx", it flashed to a black screen, then returns to the terminal, with this"

Anyone have any idea what I can do? I apologize if I'm missing something blatantly obvious, haha. Thanks in advance.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Backtrack 4, won't boot up into GUI mode, stuck at initial command terminal.

Hello,
    what type of video card do you have on this HP machine?
    if you don't know, what is the machine model?

Default Re: Backtrack 4, won't boot up into GUI mode, stuck at initial command terminal.

...and of course you have already reviewed /var/log/Xorg.0.log, since the screen capture so blatantly tells you that it is recording information there.

naturally you have already attempted to resolve any issues that it listed by troubleshooting and quite possibly using search engines to determine the appropriate steps to follow.

because certainly you would have done that as well as attempted the many offered solutions to be found within these very forums before doing something as ridiculous as asking questions about such a well documented problem.

of course you did. and we are proud of you. keep up the good work.
    -----------
    ~peace
    MacPhail

Developer

You can try 2 things

1. fix-vesa

2. Xorg -configure and then cp /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Just burned his ISO

Angry Re: Backtrack 4, won't boot up into GUI mode, stuck at initial command terminal.

Quote Originally Posted by macphail View Post
    ...and of course you have already reviewed /var/log/Xorg.0.log, since the screen capture so blatantly tells you that it is recording information there.

naturally you have already attempted to resolve any issues that it listed by troubleshooting and quite possibly using search engines to determine the appropriate steps to follow.

because certainly you would have done that as well as attempted the many offered solutions to be found within these very forums before doing something as ridiculous as asking questions about such a well documented problem.

of course you did. and we are proud of you. keep up the good work.
    I came here looking for the same info because i have NEVER used linux before and i just wanted to say what a complete **** YOU are.
    How about just removing your conceited pompous head from your **** and proffer up a bit of solid advice instead of demeaning sarcasm. Twats like you should **** if you cant be bothered to help someone.
    Prick.
    Last edited by sickness; 01-03-2011 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Removed obscene words.

Honestly we do not approve such language here, especially when @macphail is right.

I came here looking for the same info because i have NEVER used linux before
    If you take a close look here: FAQ - BackTrack Linux you can see that we do not recommend BackTrack unless you have advanced linux skills.

Also if you take a close look here: Forum Rules « BackTrack Linux – Penetration Testing Distribution you can see something like this:

Search for related previous postings, before creating a new thread. If you create a new thread asking something that has already been asked, don’t be surprised if the thread gets deleted without notice.
    http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...udio-15-a.html

@macphail may have been too sarcastic, but still that does not give you the right to use such language, also pure_hate gave you a solution.
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !

You need to manually edit xorg.conf and put correct values under HorizSync, VertRefresh, and modes, but since you`re new to linux i guess you are looking for simpler solution, so if i were you i`d go for "sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg" which is explained in the beginning of xorg.conf itself.
    If anything can go wrong, it will....

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by curveoncracke View Post
    Hey guys. I'm kinda new, though I've used Backtrack 4 before.

I know that when you first boot up the live cd, you have to enter "startx". I had a laptop, and it used to work fine. But then I upgrade to an HP laptop, and when I enter "startx", it flashed to a black screen, then returns to the terminal, with this"

Anyone have any idea what I can do? I apologize if I'm missing something blatantly obvious, haha. Thanks in advance.
    I dont know if this helps but i was using backtrack4 r2 and had exactley the same issue. I then (more in desperation) tried backtrack4 final and lo-and-behold i now have a GUI.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by sickness View Post
    Honestly we do not approve such language here, especially when @macphail is right.

If you take a close look here: FAQ - BackTrack Linux you can see that we do not recommend BackTrack unless you have advanced linux skills.

Also if you take a close look here: Forum Rules « BackTrack Linux – Penetration Testing Distribution you can see something like this:

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...udio-15-a.html

@macphail may have been too sarcastic, but still that does not give you the right to use such language, also pure_hate gave you a solution.

Sadly, you are operating from the assumption that users on here have some knowledge.
    Purehate's answer of "fix-vesa" is great if you know WHAT vesa is AND how to fix it.
    And, because i was launching from a USB drive and have NO idea how backtrack stores files, "2. Xorg -configure and then cp /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf" might as well have been written in Chinese.

Its all well and good standing high and mighty pouring scorn on us Windows users whom are either migrating or just "playing" around with a new operating system.
    Its a difficult transistion and all he (and I) wanted was a bit of clear, understandable help. Not some facitious answer. Even the FAQs' arent that helpful for someone like me, it was only until i could get a working GUI that i could then start to unravel backtrack.
    All he (we) wanted was a bit of direction. Learning an OS properly takes years,even longer learning a new one as things dont work the way you are used to.
    If you cant contribute something helpful to a beginner, dont contribute at all and leave the path clear for those that can/will.

Well if you would have just read the first link I gave you, you would have realized that BackTrack requires advanced Linux skills, and we are not here to teach you Linux nor are we here to see you insult other members. A quick search on the forum or Google would have given you an answer.

The FAQ clearly states that if you have not used Linux before and are not familiar with it BackTrack is not the distribution for you, so I suggest you download Kubuntu/Ubuntu till you get familiar with Linux.
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast