Thread: Why the hell is an Intel pro 2200BG kicking my Ubiquiti SRC's ASS??

Just burned his ISO

Question Why the hell is an Intel pro 2200BG kicking my Ubiquiti SRC's ASS??

I'm about to stab something sharp into my arm figuring out what went wrong.... My gf has a regular dell laptop with an INTEL PRO WIRELESS 2200BG. I have a 'badass' Ubiquiti SRC 300mw pcmcia card with an external 5dbi antenna as well as a Dlink DWL-g122 usb card. In our apartment, using netstumbler, I can pick up maybe 3 AP's with low signal strength using either one. SHE GETS 21 AP's!!!! I've ruled out OS/Drivers/Monitoring program as I've done this test in Linux, XP, and Win2k3. I can't put my Ubiquiti in her's and her 2200bg in mine... but I did put my USB stick in hers and still only got 3 AP's. So, doesn't fully rule out laptop. The only conclusion is that this badass Ubiquiti I've got is a peice of shit compared to an Intel Pro Wireless 2200bg with an internal antenna (if you can even call two ****ing wires as a decent antenna). Please someone tell me I'm not crazy.

I can't tell you that you are not craxy! haha

but... i have that ipw2200 as well and i must say its reception is very good. I have a Dell X300 also with internal antenna and it captures more APs than my SMC PC card.
    The intel 2200 is a good card (for windows)

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by rooster View Post
    I can't tell you that you are not craxy! haha

but... i have that ipw2200 as well and i must say its reception is very good. I have a Dell X300 also with internal antenna and it captures more APs than my SMC PC card.
    The intel 2200 is a good card (for windows)
    It may be a good card, but compare these stats:

My Ubiquiti card is 300mw
    has a tx power of 24db
    and an rx sensitivity of -96
    and is using this antenna: http://www.connexwireless.com/products/RV24-5RD.shtml

The Intel is 35mw
    has tx power of 15db
    and an rx sensitivity of -84
    using an internal antenna

Why the hell is the Intel picking up 5 times more AP's than mine?

Just burned his ISO

Hi Zambuka42, it's me kungfuserge........I also have a Ubiquity so I experience the same deception about this card even not as good as the Orinoco .....the TxPower never exeed 30 . However they came out with a new driver that could help

I am still not allowed to post url so remember it
    .ubnt.
    com
    /src_faq.php4

thanks again for aircrack-ptw .........

Just burned his ISO

hey man, i've tried everything. I've had that new driver for a while. Thanks anyway

Just burned his ISO

Hi ! Zambuka
    sorry for the Ubiquity , I bought the alfa 500 which is a UsB card Very Very Powerfull here is the link if your interested ..;

http
    ://
    cgi.ebay.fr
    /ws/eBayISAPI.dll
    ?ViewItem&item
    =290077228200

this one really works .
    When the power is 30 with the Orinoco or the Ubiquity this one give 150

Did you know that some has made a program for Aircrack-ptw to run under Windows ?
    http
    ://
    files.tuto-fr.com
    /aircrack-ptw
    _win32.rar

Take it easy I also was ripp off with the Ubiquity

Just burned his ISO

thanks for the info. I'm not ready yet to give up and get another card. If i have to crack this card open myself and dig around, i will. Thanks for telling me about the windows port of PTW. I still prefer doing all my 'phun stuff' in linux though.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by zambuka42 View Post
    only conclusion is that this badass Ubiquiti I've got is a peice of shit compared to an Intel Pro Wireless 2200bg with an internal antenna (if you can even call two ****ing wires as a decent antenna). Please someone tell me I'm not crazy.
    Power savings mode is biting you in the ass, is my bet. In Windows, when you're on battery power the Ubiquiti basically goes half-blind, I've found. You just have to explicitly turn that off by going into device properties.

Also check to make sure you have the antenna connected to the right connector (though I'm sure you probably tried both in frustration).

Sincerely,

Beetle

Just burned his ISO

Well, i got a new ubiquiti from the company. Its working alot better. turns out it was the card. But I don't know what happened to the card... it wasn't always like that and i want it to work again. I'm getting decent performance.. not the best I'd prefer... but its essentially fixed.

Thanks for the advice.. i always turn power saving mode off. Btw, 2 things. 1) according to ubiquiti... there really is no difference between the two ports. 2) 'I'm jack's access point' = brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by zambuka42 View Post
    Well, i got a new ubiquiti from the company. Its working alot better. turns out it was the card. But I don't know what happened to the card... it wasn't always like that and i want it to work again. I'm getting decent performance.. not the best I'd prefer... but its essentially fixed.

Thanks for the advice.. i always turn power saving mode off. Btw, 2 things. 1) according to ubiquiti... there really is no difference between the two ports. 2) 'I'm jack's access point' = brilliant
    Did Ubiquiti Networks provide you with a linux troubleshooting guide on this? I need it. Watching carefully, it looks like in kismet the power level is somewhat okay, then goes low and then it drops, almost like it's lying or the card is being throttled down.

I'm having the same issue and I thought I would have been able to see my own wap when I leave my own building running dual 9db antennas with ddwrt and output to 100... (I juiced it up a bit, don't run it over 70 on the wap considering it may over heat)

EDIT: I don't understand... I search throughly, I post, still searching and find answers or at least the right path. I'm out of sync. http://madwifi.org/wiki/UserDocs/AntennaDiversity