Thread: Booting BT4 from flash drive: Error 21

Just burned his ISO

Default Booting BT4 from flash drive: Error 21

So I have exactly NO experience with Linux and decided to jump head first into it with Backtrack. I have a Windows 7 system and wanted to install BT4 on a USB stick to use when I wanted to and not be in the way when I using my system for its primary function: music production. I used the how-to guide on the Backtrack website and was able to get it installed on the USB stick. However, if I remove the USB stick and try to boot into Windows I get a Grub 1.5, Error 21 message. If I introduce the USB stick to the system and reboot I am brought to a menu where I can select to boot into bakctrack or into Windows 7 at which point I can do either with no problems.

As I mentioned, my goal is to be able to boot into windows when the USB stick is not in the system and boot into Backtrack when it is. I'm not sure if this is really possible. I'm sure that I am not the only one who has encountered this and I'm sure that someone else has posted this issue as well but my search returned nothing that seemed relevant to my issue. If I overlooked something I apologize but I would really appreciate any help thrown my way. Thanks! - James.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Default Re: Booting BT4 from flash drive: Error 21

This is why we advocate to people just like you, to not use Backtrack! A common example of messing with things in which you have no knowledge of.
    So it appears as though you have installed BT to your HDD, and you have set grub up in your USB stick. So that means in oder to boot you need the usb stick to be inserted first.
    In order to fix it, well that's probably a matter of you getting your windows media disk out and using the restore or repair option.
    See also Grub 1.5, Error 21 in google for more info.
    I would highly suggest that if you want to learn linux at least start with something more noob friendly, such as ubuntu.
    See also the links below.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for the reply and the scolding...

Is it "probably a matter" of repairing or do I actually need to rewrite the MBR to my HDD to fix the issue? What will this do to the Linux installation on the USB stick? Will I have to re-install (using something more "noob friendly", of course)?

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel-Amael View Post
    This is why we advocate to people just like you, to not use Backtrack! A common example of messing with things in which you have no knowledge of.
    So it appears as though you have installed BT to your HDD, and you have set grub up in your USB stick. So that means in oder to boot you need the usb stick to be inserted first.
    In order to fix it, well that's probably a matter of you getting your windows media disk out and using the restore or repair option.
    I would highly suggest that if you want to learn linux at least start with something more noob friendly, such as ubuntu.
    See also the links below.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Might also recommend doing a backup if you can access the windows partition in some manner, if you have not done so already.
    I am guessing you have not done a backup.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

I run backups on a weekly basis and I performed a full system backup before messing with any of this... I'm not retarded, just inexperienced with Linux.

And I can still boot into windows with no problem but only if I have the USB stick plugged into my system.