Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BT4 R2 installation issue

Default BT4 R2 installation issue

i'm having an issue trying to boot into a fresh install of BT4 R2 and it drops into a limited busybox shell. I removed the quiet boot option to get more information and this is a sample of the output

Begin: Waiting for root file system... ...
    Done.
    Gave up waiting for root device. Common problems:
    - Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
    - Check rootdelay=(did the system wait long enough)
    - Check root= (did the system wait for the right device)
    - Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)
    ALERT! /dev/sda5 does not exist. Dropping to a shell
    When i boot up the live USB key of BT4R2, fdisk reports that /dev/sda5 does exist. i can mount it and confirm that its the right partition. The help i found online stated that i should remove the UUID=XXXXXXXX-XXXXX in the grub menu.lst and put the /dev/sdaX option instead which i did and still had the same issue. My older copy of BT4R1 that i have on /dev/sda4 boots fine (had to change the UUID= to /dev/sda4 in the menu.lst first to get it to work). I even tried using hdaX
    instead with no success

I also found earlier in the boot output:
    FATAL: Could not open /lib/modules/2.6.32-21-generic/modules.dep.temp for writing: No such file or directory.
    I verified the md5sum and it is correct. I used unetbooting twice to reload the new OS onto my thumbdirive (once in linux and once in windows).

Has anyone came across this issue before or have any idea of what could be wrong ?

Im using a netbook, acer aspire one

Thanks for your suggestions.
    Last edited by aerokid240; 11-26-2010 at 12:58 PM.

Default Re: BT4 R2 installation issue

Any other netbook users (specifically acer aspire one) having a similar issue?

when it drops me to a limited busybix shell, i notice that there is no sdaX or hdaX in the /dev directory. I'm assuming the relevant drivers aern't being loaded? Everything works fine when i boot from the usb key but when installed to the hard disk, it doesn't want to load. Any suggestions?

Still no solution / updates. Still looking for solution

Stupid question, but what type of drive are you trying to install it to? SATA?

Offtopic: Stop bumping your post, it's not allowed. If people don't react, try harder yourself. And if you need to give additional info, edit the OP.
    "The difference between RAID1 and RAID0 is that the zero stands for how many files you're gonna have after a harddisk failure."

Quote Originally Posted by ThePistonDoctor View Post
    Stupid question, but what type of drive are you trying to install it to? SATA?
    Yes it is a sata. Out put of fdisk -l shows a format of sdaX

Quote Originally Posted by voidnecron View Post
    Offtopic: Stop bumping your post, it's not allowed. If people don't react, try harder yourself. And if you need to give additional info, edit the OP.
    You've been very helpful thanks. I've been a BT user and forum user for over two years now and this is my first thread i've created and asked for help (i've spent most time helping than asking for help). No disrespect but i know what it means to try harder. If it wasn't for a presentation (job related) and time, i would've waited longer before creating this thread asking for help. The only reason why i bumped my own thread is that i'm trying to get things working ASAP as i'm pressed for time (and trying to make a good impression to a potential employer)and really hoping that someone been down this path and can give some insight. Again i apologize if i offended you (and i'll edit my Original posts here on).
    Last edited by aerokid240; 11-30-2010 at 02:32 PM.

Default Respuesta: BT4 R2 installation issue

In the installation process ...had you installed grub, or do you use grub of other gnu/linux?

Default Re: Respuesta: BT4 R2 installation issue

Yes i installed grub over the grub version that was originally there. I modified the menu.lst file and took away the UUID=xxxxxx-xxxxx and replaced with root=/dev/sdaX. I have BT4-R1 installed on sda4 and it boots fine (had to modify the UUID=, to root=/dev/sda4 in order to get it to work). But BT4-R2 that i installed using USB (boots fine from USB) on sda5 partition drops me into a busybox shell. looking withing /dev dir in the busybox shell does not show any sdaX or hdaX devices. I can only assume that some driver isn't being loaded, but hey i'm no professional

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast