Thread: New to the forums/Backtrack ; Wireless Driver question!

Just burned his ISO

Default New to the forums/Backtrack ; Wireless Driver question!

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums and Backtrack.
    To start off, I have used backtrack 3 & 4 before, only to crack WEP networks, and I cracked them with a WG111v2 Wireless Adapter that would automatically be recognized by the Backtrack Operating System.
    Sadly, that adapter got demolished by siblings, and so I bought a new one.
    This one would be a Rosewill RNX-N2LX
    Item resides in this link :
    Newegg.com - Rosewill RNX-N2LX IEEE 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wireless Adapter Up to 300Mbps Wireless Data Rates 64/128-bit WEP (Hex & ASCII), WPA/WPA2, WPA(TKIP with IEEE 802.1x)/WPA2(AES with IEEE 802.1x)

I was wondering how to install the drivers for it on Backtrack 4, because Rosewill provides the "Linux Kernel Drivers."
    Those reside here :
    Rosewill.com - Networking, Networking, Wireless Networking, Wireless Adapter - N USB, RNX-N2LX

When I open up Backtrack 4, I get those drivers downloaded onto my desktop, but I have no clue what to do with them.
    Help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
    Chris M.

Default Re: New to the forums/Backtrack ; Wireless Driver question!

thank the gods that you asked about that. the manufacturer neglected to add any instructions in the .zip file that you downloaded, so i can see your confusion.

i have gone through the process of accessing the vendor's download site and modifying the zip file so that it has a powerpoint presentation in it (...usb_quick_installation_guide.ppt) and you should be good to go.

don't even bother re-downloading the drivers, i've accessed your local machine and modified the zip file that is on your desktop too. you should have what you need now.

enjoy.

btw~ LOVE that wallpaper, man.
    -----------
    ~peace
    MacPhail

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by macphail View Post
    thank the gods that you asked about that. the manufacturer neglected to add any instructions in the .zip file that you downloaded, so i can see your confusion.

i have gone through the process of accessing the vendor's download site and modifying the zip file so that it has a powerpoint presentation in it (...usb_quick_installation_guide.ppt) and you should be good to go.

don't even bother re-downloading the drivers, i've accessed your local machine and modified the zip file that is on your desktop too. you should have what you need now.

enjoy.

btw~ LOVE that wallpaper, man.
    Funny way of putting it man. Love you for that, and thanks for the powerpoint you "created."
    I guess I never looked in that folder to see it there, and just went away with the Windows way of installing drivers, by just going into the driver folder.

Thanks for the help, and seriously, your way of putting it made me smile. Haha.
    Have a great day man, and have a great Thanksgiving! :]

Funny way of stating it man, you made me smile. =]

Well, apparently, while going through the powerpoint instructions, I make the driver modules, then when I have to do the "./clean" command, it gives me an error :
    ERROR: Module r8192s_usb does not exist in /proc/modules
    ERROR: Module ieee80211_rsl does not exist in /proc/modules
    ERROR: Module ieee80211_crypt_ccmp does not exist in /proc/modules
    ERROR: Module ieee80211_crypt_tkip does not exist in /proc/modules
    ERROR: Module ieee80211_crypt_wep does not exist in /proc/modules
    ERROR: Module ieee80211_crypt does not exist in /proc/modules

So I skipped that step, and the next step was to install the drivers, which I did "insmod 8712u.ko"
    That worked, but the Wireless adapter is still not recognized when I plug it in, and when I do "airmon-ng" nothing shows up.
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 11-25-2010 at 08:23 PM.