Thread: bt 4 r2 install on eee pc 1015peb USB to dual boot with windows 7 troubleshooting

Threaded View

Just burned his ISO

Default bt 4 r2 install on eee pc 1015peb USB to dual boot with windows 7 troubleshooting

I recently bought an Asus eee pc 1015PEB with the purpose of dual booting the windows 7 starter and backtrack 4 r2 operating systems on it. The purpose of this thread is to add helpful troubleshooting tips I encountered along the way that were not covered in the straightforeward directions found on the new backtrack wiki. The route I took to complete the process inolves using the installation tutorials from the backtrack wiki guides for installing backtrack 4 r2 on a usb drive using unetbootin and installing backtrack 4 r2 as a dual boot option alongside windows 7. These guides can be found here:

UNetbootin USB Installer

Dual Boot BackTrack and Windows 7

After following the first guide to create a bootable USB version of bt 4 r2, it is quite natural to encounter some issues that need to be resolved in order for the computer to detect and boot from the USB instead of the hard drive as it has been accustomed to. If this is the case, here are some avenues to pursue to alleviate your problem.

**After each troubleshooting step performed to get the USB to boot bt4 r2, cycle the USB drive through each one of your computer's USB ports as an additional troubleshooting step**

Change the boot device priority and the disk drive sequence by accessing the BIOS when your computer starts up. For my computer, this was more difficult than it should be. Initially, my computer was not displaying a BIOS Post screen or OEM screen before it hastily booted up windows 7. Pressing any of the typical keys (esc, del, F1-F9) brought me to a "Windows Boot Manager" screen that does not help this situation any.

To access the BIOS, I tapped the F2 button quickly before the little white blinking line appeared in the top left of the screen to get the BIOS Post screen to appear, then press F2 again during this screen to take you to the BIOS Setup Utility. Here we need to look at two things: The Boot Devices Priority and the Hard Disk Drives, both of which can be found in the Boot Settings menu which is the tab titled "Boot" at the top of the screen.

Go in to the boot Device Priority menu and set Removable Dev. as the 1st Boot Device.

Go into the Hard Disk Drives menu and set USB: USB Reader as the 1st Drive.

Save these changes and get out of the BIOS Setup Utility. Restart your computer.

Another issue you may run into is that your ISO is corrupt. You can check this by verifying the md5 sum. For this tip there is a useful thread that can be found here including a link to download the free HashCalc tool:

How to find out if your iso is or isn't corrupt by md5 checking

With the right boot device sequence, right drive sequence, a healthy iso extracted onto a USB drive, and a working USB port, I had successfully arrived at the bt4 r2 screen and was ready to move onto the next step.

**Moving on from the UNetbootin USB Installer wiki guide to the Dual Boot BackTrack and Windows 7 wiki guide**

The first step in the dual boot guide involves opening the KDE graphical interface by using the command
    Code:
    startx
    For me, this brought me to a new problem. The output after I typed in "startx" read:
    Fatal server error: no screens found
    By digging a little bit in these forums, I found the solution to type the command
    Code:
    fixvesa
    before typing "startx" to successfully load the KDE graphical interface.

Once I got to step four in the wiki, I found that when I arrived at the "Prepare disk space" screen of the installer, I did not have the guided resize option; only the guided use full disk and manual options were available to me. This is because out of the box, the 250 gig hard drive on my eee pc was already divided into four partitions. To solve this issue, I deleted a 117 gig NTSD partition that was not being used at all, resized the NTSD partition windows 7 was on to take up the unallocated space created by the deletion and was able to proceed with step four with the guided resize option now available. Here are the steps I used to do this:

1. Download the safe and free program Easeus Partition Master Home Edition from download.com which can be found here:

Easeus Partition Master Home Edition

**After each step selected using this program, it recommends you hit the "Apply" button in the left hand portion of the screen; this will apply the changes to your hard drive one at a time, as you select them to happen**

2. Open the program, delete the unused NTSD partition (was the 3rd partition on my computer).

3. Move the 15 gig FAT32 partition (was the 2nd partition on my computer) to the right end of the disk, next to the fourth partition.

4. Resize the NTSD partition (was the 1st partition on my computer) with windows 7 on it to engulf the unallocated space on the disk between it and the FAT32 partition.

5. It is recommended that you defragment your partition with windows 7 on it before splitting it with bt 4 r2, to do this go to start > control panel > system and security > defragment your hard drive (at the bottom under Administrative Tools)

After all the the partition cleaning up, revisit the BIOS Setup Utility and ensure that the boot device sequence and hard drive sequence are still as they are needed to boot from a USB drive.

Upon reaching this point, I was able to complete the final steps of the dual boot and have successfully completed the installation.

**Aftermath - At this point I started navigating through my OS options and ensuring that everything is functional**

The first thing I noticed is that along with the 3 versions of backtrack listed to boot from the Grub there were two "Windows Vista/Longhorn (loader)" options. I clicked on the first one and this initiated a check on my C: drive by windows. After it conducted its 3 stages of checks it restarted the computer, I selected it again and it started windows 7 fine. I restarted the computer and selected the second of the two Windows Vista/Longhorn (loader) options and found this to allow me to restore the entire drive back to the factory reset. Lastly, I selected the first bt 4 r2 option on the list, logged in as root and it started up fine as well.
    Last edited by Marnos; 11-24-2010 at 02:26 PM.