Thread: BT4 r2 update failed

Just burned his ISO

Default BT4 r2 update failed

All,

I ran apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade and everything seemed to run smoothly. The updated kernel does not appear to have installed, it doeesn't show up in the grub menu but I can see the linux-headers directory in /usr/src. Additionally, there was a linux-source-2.6.35.8.tar.bz2 file in that directory which I manually extracted. Any assistance getting the new kernel running would be appreciated. I run BT4 r1 as my primary operating system on this particular hard drive. Also, thanks developers for the work you have put into BT4 this year!

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Default Re: BT4 r2 update failed

My assumption would be to compile yourself as I noticed the same issue and just did a manual compile. Would probably wait for a Dev to answer this though before you go off delving into territory you may or may not be familiar with.
    I may have been born with a silver spoon in my mouth but it does not mean I like to be spoon fed.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks, I attempted:
    apt-get install linux-image-2.6.35.8

Which appeared to work and I did indeed get the OS running. The nvidia driver taked so I had to manually install the linux-source and linux-headers as well but the graphics card driver still wouldn't compile.
    So, to sum up, I am able to run the newer kernel with a manual download, but I cannot get xwindows working. :-) I appreciate your earlier advice.

Quote Originally Posted by captndude View Post
    All,

I ran apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade and everything seemed to run smoothly. The updated kernel does not appear to have installed, it doeesn't show up in the grub menu but I can see the linux-headers directory in /usr/src. Additionally, there was a linux-source-2.6.35.8.tar.bz2 file in that directory which I manually extracted. Any assistance getting the new kernel running would be appreciated. I run BT4 r1 as my primary operating system on this particular hard drive. Also, thanks developers for the work you have put into BT4 this year!
    I had the same thing happen but it was on my test laptop, so I just started from fresh and everything worked. I wasn't feeling in the mood for trouble shooting this morning. I'll wait to update my other machine though.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Installed fresh to another laptop and it is the 2.6.35.8 kernel. In theory, this is the way that it should work: That apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade would hold the new kernel back as applying a new kernel to an already running system would break certain modules built against the 2.6.34 kernel (ATI/NVIDIA, etc). Anyway, looking forward to running it at full speed other than in a virtual pc.

On a side note, the 2.6.35.8 kernel supports the rt2800usb (alfa AWUS036NH) WITHOUT patching.
    I may have been born with a silver spoon in my mouth but it does not mean I like to be spoon fed.

Good friend of the forums comaX's Avatar

Hi ! I couldn't run sudo apt-get dist-update, but the first command worked, and i then used synaptic to update all available packages, and so far it seems to be all ok. I'll update after reboot

Just burned his ISO

I understand holding the kernel back, seems it should still be available without manual install though. Hopefully I will be able to get it running today since I have customized the system a little and don't want to reinstall and "re-tweak" the apps. What's the best way to install the kernel and it's sources so that I can then install my NVIDIA driver?