Thread: Crucnch password list lost/not completed

Default Crucnch password list lost/not completed

I can't seem to find a file that was the output of crunch that was never completed. Essentailly, I set it to run the program over night and I woke up this morning to the hard drive being full, supprised right? Anyway, I would like to delete this file and begin on another hard drive, however I can't seem to find the thing. I tried searching the directetory where I set the output and it's not there. Is this thing stuck in lingo as a hidden file somewhere? Anyone else have this problem?

I am not asking how to use crunch, I know that much, Just wondering where the temp file is.

Ty

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

Default Re: Crucnch password list lost/not completed

Would help more to see the command you actually typed, but you could try:
    Code:
    find / -size 100000000c -print
    Which, if I got my zeros correct, will print out all files over 100MB on your file system. Check which filesystem to check with "df -h" and go from there.

Check the find man page for better info.
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

Very good friend of the forum TAPE's Avatar

The 'temp' file shoud be in crunch's directory and should have the name 'START'

Make sure you are using the latest version of crunch, v2.6, which will show what size you
    are looking at when creating the wordlist.

Don't underestimate the size, it can get big. There are quite a few posts on wordlist sizes,
    and to shamelessly plug one I wrote a while ago ;

Wordlist Sizes
    Last edited by TAPE; 11-22-2010 at 10:08 PM.

Is the drive actually full or did crunch simply fill the drive, error out, and clean up after itself?

From another thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by thorin
    You can do wordlist size calcs easily with google. Using the formula x^y will give you the number of "words", where x is the # of characters in your character set (62 for all alpha upper and lower plus 0 to 9), and y is the max length of passwords. [For example length 7 passwords with 62 char set]
    Word list storage calculations should be done using (x^y)*(y+1) on *Nix systems or (x^y)*(y+2) on Windows systems. One character is equal to one byte therefore the length of the password is the same as the number of bytes each one will consume (plus the end of line/new line character(s) depending on OS). =/ [For example len 7 w/ 62 char set on *Nix]
    Last edited by thorin; 11-22-2010 at 01:59 PM.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Good friend of the forums

It would be really helpful if you posted the crunch command you ran. Please keep in mind generating 1 large file sounds like the best thing however it will cause you problems in the long run. Most of the applications in BT4 only handle 32bit size files (i.e. files that are 2GB or less). You should really always use the -b 2gb option to break the output into 2GB sized files.
    I like the bleeding edge, but I don't like blood loss

Very good friend of the forum TAPE's Avatar

The Master has spoken

Good call, forgot about mentioning the limitations on wordlist sizes in combination with
    the cracking proggies.

As mentioned, quoting the code used would help you find out where you could improve your results.