Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to protect myself ...

Just burned his ISO

Exclamation How to protect myself ...

hi everybody i am having a problem a person on the network is trying to hack me threw my ip he is taking my ip and taking my ip address and sometimes he is sniffing my information but i solved the sniffing thing so he is taking my ip which cause an ip conflicting and my internet is off and he opens on my account and sometimes access my pc but i solved the access thing and i changed my ip to an unused one and i scanned my ip with zen map and i got his mac address and his pc name and information about net bios and he's doiing that a lot lately i contacted the internet company but they are to lasy to keep him out they don't care about security and that's because i'm in a country that is rly shitty and undeveloped and i am new to the backtrack thing how can i stop him ? is thit possible that i can do something with his mac adress plz help me guys

Default re: How to protect myself ...

Buy a router, turn your firewall on and log on to pages trough HTTPS, if you reported the incident to your company and they did not do anything you should keep reporting it till they do something.
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !

Just burned his ISO

Smile Re: How to protect myself ...

Quote Originally Posted by sickness View Post
    Buy a router, turn your firewall on and log on to pages trough HTTPS, if you reported the incident to your company and they did not do anything you should keep reporting it till they do something.

ok look i think you are right about the router thing if i am directly connected but the connection in my country is the following way : a nano station that brodcast in the area and when we subscribe we buy an access point to connect to it and my access point is also linked to a router so the problem is the following he is hacking the nano station taking my ip on it which is static off course so the problem is in the nano station not on the access poit or on the router sry if i wasen't clear

Default Re: How to protect myself ...

Well in that case, I would suggest you inform your ISP again and explain the problem till they take messures.
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !

This is an inability of both the user and the ISP to understand basic security issues. It probably involves a lack of basic equipment and network configuration knowledge, too. Either way, the topic has NOTHING to do with BackTrack.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    This is an inability of both the user and the ISP to understand basic security issues. It probably involves a lack of basic equipment and network configuration knowledge, too. Either way, the topic has NOTHING to do with BackTrack.
    Agreed, but although has nothing to do with backtrack, has everything to do with pentest, i didn't pronounce myself so far, because i have nothing useful to add (fact), but that doesn't mean we all can't learn something in this thread. Pentest is all about protecting yourself from attacks like this. I'd like to see more information about the issue instead of discarding it..

After all, it's exactly in situations such as these that Backtrack can really standout where it can make the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by skor78 View Post
    Agreed, but although has nothing to do with backtrack, has everything to do with pentest, i didn't pronounce myself so far, because i have nothing useful to add (fact), but that doesn't mean we all can't learn something in this thread. Pentest is all about protecting yourself from attacks like this. I'd like to see more information about the issue instead of discarding it..

After all, it's exactly in situations such as these that Backtrack can really standout where it can make the difference.
    A pen test? Please. That's stretching the topic very far. Since the OP provided very little information, you're talking about an unknown piece of equipment, on an unknown IPS's network. According to the OP, it's a "nano station", which might possibly be a Ubiquiti Networks' Nano Station 2 or 5. Assuming that is true, all you're still talking about it a ISP and/or user who is clueless as to basic security. Breaking into such a network on a pen test is child's play.

The bottom line is this: If the user can't secure the equipment, and the ISP refuses to do so, there is no point in discussing this further on these forums.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

That's a little more knowledge for me.. Like you, i also didn't absorbed much info from the OP (what does OP stand for btw?.. original poster? ), and i didn't get how someone could access someone else's connection merely by cloning mac and ip.. In here, public access AP ISPs require an authentication before validating the connection. Otherwise you just get a "buy a coupon" screen..

Anyway, in the end, my question is, can the user actually protect himself without the ISP's action? Even if he protected his data with a encrypted VPN (to avoid password, etc. sniffing) the basics (MAC and IP) would still be visible to the sniffer, right? I don't know much about nano stations, but i assume they work similar to the public "coupon" wifi networks, right?

What i really don't understand in this situation, is how the OP's ISP can provide a connection based only on a mac-filter pass-trough to a fixed IP.. Never heard about such basic and payed configuration before..

Thanx for your answer Thorn!

I agree with Thorn. An improvement in security will only result from a Penetration Test if:

• The person/s performing the test are competent enough to discover security flaws in a system, AND
    • The person/s with administrative control of the systems in question are willing and able to make the necesary changes to fix those security flaws.

If the ISP doesnt care and the OP doesn't understand enough about Penetration Testing techniques or root causes of the problems being faced, then use of BackTrack won't help in this situation.

OP, Id suggest you try posting this at a forum that seeks to assist users with fixing security issues. That is not the intended purpose of this forum.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

quiet hard to understand what you are explaining, jFcOOd.
    If I got you well, it looks to me that somebody is using your credentials (username/password) to connect to that ,,nano station,,.
    Did you change it to something else after subscribing or you are still using default one?
    How did you find out that he/she has been sniffing you? :-)
    ,, It's the flower of light in the field of darkness that's giving me the strength to carry on.,,
    Eli says:,,No, it's, uh, Johnny Cash, Live at Folsom Prison,,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast