Thread: Nvidia 8600gts installing!?

Just burned his ISO

Unhappy Nvidia 8600gts installing!?

Guys i am desperate in finding solution for nvidia drivers, i have 8600GTS graphic card but i cant install drivers,i try 10 ways 10 times each and no luck! My resolution is good,graphic also but i cant install vbox, cant do much things without graphic drivers installed! If somebody got same graphic card let me know how to install drivers?!

Default Re: Nvidia 8600gts installing!?

How are you trying to install VBox and what error does it give you ?
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

10 different ways tried10 times each equals a hundred installs. Really?
    I mean maybe it's a bit of a stretch on your part.
    Further just
    Code:
    # apt-get install nvidia-driver
    and you should be all set.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Archangel thanks for fast reply but apt-get install wont work for me! i mean...all goes well , installation is ok,but i dont see the difference when i do that, i cant find nvidia settings menu and also when i open configuration display menu there is just blank screen! Vbox is not so important but Bt is my primary and only system right now and i want to keep it that way so i need nvidia drivers!

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Wait, you mean you are using BT in a virtual machine? You may have previously stated that, and I missed it, but that won't work.
    See also How Do I Access My nVidia Card? (View topic) • virtualbox.org
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

No no...you got me wrong,maybe i dont know how to explain to you my problem, i installed bt4 r2 today,fresh, on hard drive, and i dont have any other OS, just bt, i want nvidia drivers installed but i try couple of times without luck, well...maybe i install drivers good, because installation went well without errors but i cant see any difference, cant find nvidia settings menu...maybe you can tell me how can i see difference with drivers and without them!?

you should see the NVIDIA logo on boot if the drivers are installed correctly.

I had an issue on an upgrade from R1. I tried all the usual commands but then noticed it wasn't finding the kernel. I downloaded the latest drivers for my card and pointed the install to the new kernel path.

I have a NVIDIA GTX260M but the driver is the same for the 8600GTS

Code:
    root@bt4r2:~# wget http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...-260.19.21.run
    root@bt4r2:~#sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-260.19.21.run --kernel-source-path /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.35.8
    Also make sure you are not in X (ctrl+alt+backspace) when you are doing all the commands (that should also apply for the other fixes recommended)

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by cseven View Post
    you should see the NVIDIA logo on boot if the drivers are installed correctly.

I had an issue on an upgrade from R1. I tried all the usual commands but then noticed it wasn't finding the kernel. I downloaded the latest drivers for my card and pointed the install to the new kernel path.

I have a NVIDIA GTX260M but the driver is the same for the 8600GTS

Code:
    root@bt4r2:~# wget http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...-260.19.21.run
    root@bt4r2:~#sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-260.19.21.run --kernel-source-path /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.35.8
    Also make sure you are not in X (ctrl+alt+backspace) when you are doing all the commands (that should also apply for the other fixes recommended)
    cseven i try this commands,my nvidia driver was installed but then again, i cant see any nvidia logo on startup,i added nvidia settings menu with apt-get install nvidia-settings,because installation of drivers dont add menu for me but i got a feeling that is not right,not good! dont know what to do?

Not working for me,i try your solution but no! There is no nvidia logo sreen on boot and also theres no nvidia settings menu,i can see that drivers are not installed correctly by moving icons over the desktop,theres white dots staying on path where i move icons!
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 11-25-2010 at 08:21 PM.

the nvidia boot splash is optional and configurable, so it may not show (although I admit it normally does on a vanilla install). menu options for freshly installed software do not always appear in the menu structure of the host window manager and often have to be populated by hand. low frame-rates and artifacts on the screen point to poor graphics performance or resource intensive processes perhaps...but how do you KNOW the drivers arent installed and loaded?

i'm not saying that they are or are not, im just saying that perhaps you should take a step back for a moment and actually confirm what drivers ARE loaded. maybe attempt to start your settings manager from the command line...troubleshoot your xorg conf at the very least.

get under the hood a little bit to try to figure this out instead of relying on symptoms.
    -----------
    ~peace
    MacPhail

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

lspci -v | perl -ne '/VGA/.../^$/ and /VGA|Kern/ and print' will show you your video card, kernel driver in use and kernel modules.

nvidia-settings --help (from cli outside of X)
    nvidia-settings (from terminal in X brings up the GUI Nvidia X Server Settings)

Standard linux troubleshooting.
    Last edited by skinnypuppy; 12-04-2010 at 01:37 AM.
    I may have been born with a silver spoon in my mouth but it does not mean I like to be spoon fed.