Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unable to open /dev/sda...???? bt2 problem

Just burned his ISO

Default Unable to open /dev/sda...???? bt2 problem

when i was booting backtrack 2, i typed in bt ~ # fdisk /dev/sda , and it said unable to open /dev/sda. Can someone please help me out with this problem ?

Unmount /mnt/sda1 first.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Is /dev/sda a valid device on your system?
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

I'm probably wrong but isn't sda the whole drive? including sda1 sda2?

I didn't think you could browse it. does it show in mount? stab? mtab? try typing /mnt in, or umount /mnt/sda

Just burned his ISO

i'm so sorry, but i have no idea what you guys are talking about!
    Barry:
    how do you unmount /mnt/sda1 ?
    thorin:
    i don't even know if it's a valid device on my system. I'm running ubuntu and xp

Just burned his ISO

As previously questioned - is there even a drive in your system configured as sda1? Could it be "hda1" instead? Another command you may want to try is "sudo hdparm" but beware - you can fubar your drives/data with that command so you may want to google for options...

Hda1 is IDE hard drive Sda1 is SATA.

Like previosly mention by Barry umount /mnt/sda1 first then you can fdisk /mnt/sda1 (mnt or dev command) then type P to see the partitions in sda.

sda will have NTFS (maybe) and your Linux partitions and the MAster boot record. unless the HD is empty

Quote Originally Posted by FedorEmelianenko View Post
    Hda1 is IDE hard drive Sda1 is SATA.

Like previosly mention by Barry umount /mnt/sda1 first then you can fdisk /mnt/sda1 (mnt or dev command) then type P to see the partitions in sda.

sda will have NTFS (maybe) and your Linux partitions and the MAster boot record. unless the HD is empty
    USB drives also show as sda. I use fdisk -l (that's a lower L) to see what's what.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by coolie View Post
    i'm so sorry, but i have no idea what you guys are talking about!
    Barry:
    how do you unmount /mnt/sda1 ?
    Try:
    Code:
    unmount /mnt/sda1
    thorin:
    i don't even know if it's a valid device on my system. I'm running ubuntu and xp
    So what does this have to do with BT then? Seems like you're playing with things beyond your means.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    Try:
    Code:
    unmount /mnt/sda1
    So what does this have to do with BT then? Seems like you're playing with things beyond your means.
    don't you mean

Code:
    umount /mnt/sda1
    just a slip of the finger I'm sure

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast