Thread: Unable to access unsecure wireless network

Question Unable to access unsecure wireless network

Good day all,

I have recently got a laptop and with this I have wireless. I have installed BT4 R1 on it and was messing around and found some wireless networks at work. I have tried to connect to them and read hundreds of forums/help pages but cannot connect to them.

There is no DHCP present and networking has been started. I can detect the BSSID as well as the MAC of the wireless routers, but have absolutely no clue what their IP range is so cannot connect. Is there any way I can find out the IP address of the router as I need to disable wireless on them.

I know this is a stupid problem to be having but its frustrating me to no end and its a stupid error on my part. I have ensured that wireless is enabled and the wlan0 is up. i have also edited resolv.conf to have 127.0.0.1 as my dns and ensured that /etc/network/interfaces has the following

auto wlan0
    iface wlan0 inet dhcp

When I try a static address it works but obviously dont have my gateway set correctly so no access to the internet or the device itself. What can I try to resolve this?

Any help will be appreciate.
    Thank you.

Developer

Default Re: Unable to access unsecure wireless network

You should ask the Network Admin for the IP range since you have permission to use the wifi, right?

if you do not have permission, you should know that in many countries (Including the USA) it is illegal to connect to networks which are not yours. Its a invasion of privacy. Just because some people are not smart enough to secure their access points , does not mean you are allowed to use it. I alway compare it to this situation. If you forget to lock the door of your house do you think it would be cool if I came in and had a few of your beers and piggybacked your wife?

Just burned his ISO

Just a thought...
    If you are doing this at work, as part of your job, you should at least have a basic understanding on how a switched network works.

Also, you should not assume that the wireless networks you are finding are actually on your work's network. Some could be from across the street. Some could be Point of Sale networks, or inventory management networks, and taking those systems down could cause major problems. If you aren't the network admin, you should not be messing with the network. If you want to see them taken down, take your concerns to your network admin, and ask him if there is a wireless you can connect to for browsing the internet.

Dude,

If you're not getting automatic ip straight at connect don't you think maybe that connection is not so insecure as you assume? Maybe MAC filtering is active? And why would you assume configuring your ip manually would solve this?

"...read hundreds of forums/help pages..." Really? I'd get there in less than 10.. And without touching manual ip config.
    Try a few thousands instead, and then, start testing your own network, and leave your neighbors alone.

Is this or is this not the Beginners Forum? All the people with smart comments rather keep them to yourselves firstly and secondly Im ASKING for help as this is on my works network and its routers from our ISP that are setup with insecure networks and I want to see whether or not its an issue if it gets penetrated. Bcoz as far as I have seen there is not a whole lot that can be done once connected to it and thought I might be missing something.

I have full authority to access these wireless points so thats not an issue.

@ Skor78: You an absolute fool and please rather just keep your immature comments to yourself.

I know its OUR routers bcoz when Im 20m away from them then the signal is poor and right next to them its full strength. I know for a fact and verified this bcoz its Linksys (Cisco) routers and when I look at the label its Linksys.

Well unless you are qualified to test your works router I suggest you ask the admin about this and ask him to enable encryption.
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !

Good luck on your "work" router pentest..
    I'd suggest you'd follow the above advices, unless you're looking for a just cause firing, or maybe a little jail time..

"I have full authority to access these wireless points so thats not an issue." "...read hundreds of forums/help pages..."
    You might not like to hear what i said, but truth is, either you read until you understand what you're doing, or leave it to us, poor little children..
    If you have access permission, solve your doubts with your network admin, or with your ISP.
    Stop wild guessing, which will only make you more confused, even if you somehow manage to connect doing so, you'll never truly understand how you got there.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by VulcanX View Post
    I have recently got a laptop and with this I have wireless.
    If this is a brand new PC then have you ever tested it by connecting to a public wifi hot spot either with BT or some other OS?

I have full authority to access these wireless points so thats not an issue.
    Have you asked your system administrator for help / information?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

At the OP we do not care if you claim to have access or not to the network. The point is two fold here. 1 It's hard to believe most of these stories since we have heard many variants thereof, so stop trying. 2. You don't know what you are doing and therefore should not be doing it, much less at work.
    If you think the network is insecure then do the correct thing and talk to management about it. The economy is not in the best shape to be trying to do things which could get you fired for it.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.