Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no write permission to etc

Just burned his ISO

Default no write permission to etc

hallo,

I have installed bt2 to usb stick and want to save my network configuration, so that they are still avaible after reboot.
    In this thread "forums.remote-exploit.o-r-g/showthread.php?t=6971" was explained to edit the rc.inet1.conf in /etc/rc.d/.
    When I want to save the file with the changes there comes a message that I have not the permission to write. Writing a file on the desktop works, but why does it not work to edit the file in /etc/rc.d although I'm logged in as root?

Quote Originally Posted by tom25 View Post
    hallo,

I have installed bt2 to usb stick and want to save my network configuration, so that they are still avaible after reboot.
    In this thread "forums.remote-exploit.o-r-g/showthread.php?t=6971" was explained to edit the rc.inet1.conf in /etc/rc.d/.
    When I want to save the file with the changes there comes a message that I have not the permission to write. Writing a file on the desktop works, but why does it not work to edit the file in /etc/rc.d although I'm logged in as root?
    You are using just a live install so you will have no permission to write to that file. Change your configuration to a "with changes" install and you will be able to do it.

Just burned his ISO

My usb stick only has 1gb so I cannot do the real install with 2,7gb. Is there any other way to save the network config by using a 1gb usb stick?

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

My usb stick only has 1gb so I cannot do the real install with 2,7gb. Is there any other way to save the network config by using a 1gb usb stick?
    Like so many of life's problems, this can be easily solved by getting a bigger stick.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Like so many of life's problems, this can be easily solved by getting a bigger stick.
    Classic!
    Μολὼν λαβέ - Great spirits encounter heavy opposition from mediocre minds.

You don't need to do a real install, just use qtparted to alter the partitions on the stick from a live cd, and the apply the changes mod.

Just burned his ISO

You don't need to do a real install, just use qtparted to alter the partitions on the stick from a live cd, and the apply the changes mod.
    Could you explain how this works, please?

Could you explain how this works, please?
    It's a special boot code that allows changes to be saved to another partition.

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Kind sir My wife would greatly apreciate it if you would point me in the direction of the bigger stick store. lol

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by purehate View Post
    Kind sir My wife would greatly apreciate it if you would point me in the direction of the bigger stick store. lol
    Just post your email here, you'll get lots of offers on how to make a bigger stick.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast