Thread: Trouble installing Linksys WUSB600N

Just burned his ISO

Lightbulb Trouble installing Linksys WUSB600N

After all the reading, all the searches, the trial and error we still end up here..
    I've spent countless hours reading about bt4 before installing it, i've spent hours reading into aircrack and into all the sticky post's yet I cant figure this one out.

To start at the start these are my specs
    I own a HP G72 with a build-in Broadcom 4313 which I don't use.
    Im running BT4 in VMware workstation v7.0.0, gave it 1024 ram & 15 gigz.
    I've tried running it from a USB stick but I failed majorly. At first everything was alright I managed to install it, after a while I retried it which worked aswell.. The third time I had overwritten my main HD with windows7 and all my data, way to go I thought. So i redid everything and decided to run it in a Virtual Machine, much safer..

At first i had a D-link DWA150 if I recall correctly but i've traded that one in after struggling with it for the Linksys WUSB600N v2.
    A €15 more expensive card should do the trick I reconned. After searching and reading the internet I found these websites:

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...le-installing-
    linksys-wusb600n-v2-backtrack-4-final-under-vm-workstation-6-5-a.html

there I found links to these websites
    Getting the Linksys WUSB600N *v2* USB Stick to work in Linux « Azmo's Weblog
    Google Vertaling -> translated to my language and it dosnt make any sense.
    Google Vertaling -> Neither does the english translation.

So i've decided to follow the Guide from Gordonazmo:
    1 get the RT3572USB driver from Ralink
    2 unpack and stuff, cd into directory
    3 do the stuff mentioned in the README, like enabling wpa_supplicant and networkmanager support
    4 then search in the file common/rtusb_dev_id.c for something like this

I can't seem to figure step three out, I've changed the rtusb_dev_id.c file but i don't understand what step three wants me to do..

Last but not least I've found on the internet that the key to getting the WUSB600N to work is using the Horte and Nemesis driver, which I have. The only problem is I don't understand how to install drivers in BT4.

The WUSB600N card seems to be recognised by BT4 though, the only problem is once i go for airodump-ng wlan0 it won't find any network, not my own Blackbox router or the numerous other networks in my appartement building.

If anybody could spare some of his time into helping me on this one I'd gladly appriciate it, I feel like a noob not managing to do this, I've read up enough on BT4 to skip out all the idiotic noob questions you've had to answer so far but I'm really stuck

I thank you for your help,
    Furiousxk

Default Re: Trouble installing Linksys WUSB600N

Use the search function before opening a thread:

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...ion-6-5-a.html

Oh and the step 3 which you don't understand wants you to type 'lsusb' and replace the line with your device ID, but there is a change the IDs are the same.
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by sickness View Post
    Use the search function before opening a thread:

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...ion-6-5-a.html

Oh and the step 3 which you don't understand wants you to type 'lsusb' and replace the line with your device ID, but there is a change the IDs are the same.
    Sorry I've been away for a while hence this is why I now replying..

As you can see in my previous post I have searched, I have found the topic you have linked me to (It's in the OP and I found the nemesis driver clue there) and I have read it.. I simply don't Understand..

Thanks for the heads up by the way.. running lsusb got me the following:

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    bus 001 Device 013: ID 1737:0079 Linksys WUSB600N Wireless -N USB Network Adapter with Dual-Band ver. 2
    Bus 001 Device 012: ID 04f2:blaa Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd. Webcam-101
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

I understand you all must be tired of all the questions, especially if I browse around the forums I see the same question popping up 10 times but I really can't figure this out
    My knowledge of PC's in general should be high enough to understand a clear guide on how to install drivers or something similar so with this I'm kindly asking you to help me out.
    If it would be possible to explain to me how to install the driver I'd gladly appriciate it..

I thank you for your time and fast response

Sincerely,
    Furiousxk

Ok now that you have your device ID replace it if it's not the same following the tutorial.
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by sickness View Post
    Ok now that you have your device ID replace it if it's not the same following the tutorial.
    Ok thank you for the help I've managed to make the driver into an install, I've rebooted my virtual machine and now instead of listing my WUSB600N as the actual Linksys WUSB600N v2 as USB Device 1737:0079.

Airmon-ng still lists a wlan0 Ralink RT2870/3070
    Airodump-ng gives the following error now:

ARP linktype is set to 1 (Ethernet) - expected ARPHRD_IEEE80211, ARPHRD_IEEE80211_FULL or ARPHRD_IEEE80211_PRISM instead. Make sure RFMON is enabled: run 'airmon-ng start wlan0 <#>'
    Sysfs injection support was not found either.

Perhaps im getting the error as I didnt execute these following things:
    - enabling wpa_supplicant and networkmanager support
    Taken from the topic you have linked.

I dont quite understand these directions, could anybody please clarify these for me?

Thanks
    Furiousxk

Not giving up I've decided to follow the french guide from Crack-wifi.com FORUM / Installer Drivers RALINK RT3070 sous Ubuntu pour l'injection !

the first part that stucks me is the following:

-git clone git://git.popipo.fr/home/benoit/rt2x00.git
    I get the following error when running this command:
    error: Couldn't resolve host 'git.popipo.fr'
    warning: remote HEAD refers to nonexistent ref, unable to checkout.

I've tried to ignore the error and it worked, using the corrected command git checkout -b rt3070v2-next origin/rt3070v2-next
    fatal: git checkout: updating paths is incompatible with switching branches forcing
    Did you intend to checkout 'origin/rt3070v2-next' which can not be resolved as commit?

I've went through trial and error and just decided to continiu and the next step puts us on a hold again..

-sudo mv ~/rt2x00 /usr/src/ tells me mv: missing destination file operand after 'root/rt2x00/usr/src/' Try mv --help for more information.

Ignoring the error's i've continiued my way and ended up in the configuration menu displayed by images.

When going to the Ralink rt2800 (USB) Support (EXPERIMENTAL) I 'M' mark it, blacklist the rest apart from what is *'d in a couple of posts below the thread and i exit the configmenu.
    At this step I'm the most confused, the guide says this should take quite some time, which it didn't here. Did I do something wrong? I suppose I did but I can't quite figure out what..

If anybody could help me out I'd greatly appriciate it

Kind regards,
    Furiousxk

Oh and ps, I changed to BT 4 R2 but I doubt that makes a big difference
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 11-24-2010 at 09:30 PM.