Thread: Installing Backtrack

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Installing Backtrack

Before i get jumped on, i'm posting here as a last resort. I've checked as many guides as i could, and they all start with "load back track from disk, or put it onto a USB" I'm struggling to get that far. I've downloaded the correct files as a mod on the forums told me to and i've done the following.

Burn to dvd, using several different programs, and the slowest speed possible.
    neither computer i've used has recognised any as a bootable disk.

Partitioned my HDD using UNetbootin.
    UNetbootin has sucessfully partitioned my drive, however when running i get this error message.
    "Find -set-root/unetbootin/ubnkern
    Error 15 - File not found
    Press any key"

Tried to boot the dvd's on 2 different computers.

My next step would be to put backtrack on a HDD entirely, which i'm ok with, due to having an old laptop kicking around, however i dont have any installer exe files or anything that leads me to think i can install it to start with. I'm sure its something small i'm doing wrong, but after several days of frustration, its getting to me.

The files i have when i unzip the download(done with winrar and winzip on different occasions)
    Boot(folder)
    Casper(folder)
    boot.catalogue
    md5sum.txt

If i am going to install backtrack to a HDD entirely, how do i go about doing this?

I apologise if the answer is staring me in the face, or is blatantly obvious, but i'm really struggling

Default Re: Installing Backtrack

Quote Originally Posted by aussieguy View Post
    The files i have when i unzip the download(done with winrar and winzip on different occasions)
    Boot(folder)
    Casper(folder)
    boot.catalogue
    md5sum.txt
    Unzip the download ? It's an .iso file you don't unzip it.
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !

Default Re: Installing Backtrack

Quote Originally Posted by sickness View Post
    Unzip the download ? It's an .iso file you don't unzip it.
    Some archiving programs will let you decompress ("unzip") an iso file. Except in this case its definitely not what the OP wants to do.

OP, you don't need to do anything with that iso file once its downloaded other than confirming the MD5 hash is correct - don't "unzip" it, it's already in the correct format to use. Use DVD/CD burning software to burn the iso file to a blank DVD, or use Unetbootin with that iso file to create a bootable USB device. For Windows, a reasonable and free choice for image burning software is ImgBurn. Then boot from that DVD/USB and once you get into BackTrack you can install to the hard drive as required using the install script in the Desktop folder.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.