Thread: KDE crash starting Live CD

Just burned his ISO

Default KDE crash starting Live CD

I'm trying to run BT2/live on my Compaq 2200 laptop (1.3gHz Celeron/1gig memory/Onboard Intel 82852 Graphic processor/Broacom Wireless). I boot, log in as root, startx, and after a while get "KDE Panel (Kicker) crashed with a Sig 6 [SIGABRT]. At that point the system is dead in the water and I need to five-second-power to shut it down. Anything I can do either to finesse the problem or actually figure out what's going wrong? Thanks!

Just burned his ISO

Footnote: the same thing happens whether I use "xconf" or not, although if I don't use xconf I get some funny color-bars across the screen as X starts up. But in both cases, the system boots to the point of starting the destktop and the toolbar appears across the bottom of the screen as a plain white bar [no icons or anything], and then about 20 seconds later I get the Panel crash.

Just burned his ISO

This is now the third post i have seen with people having crashing problems with thier laptop... i think a mod should make an announcement or make a sticky with ppl having freezing problems to post in

Thanks in Advance
    Eddie

Just burned his ISO

Has this issue been resolved yet? A search of the site doesn't have any additional information.

The livecd works fine on its own - KDE loads up and the graphics are fine. System is an old dell dimension 3500, ati rage video card so I don't think that is the problem. But once I mkfs.ext3 and then startx, KDE will load 99.9% of the way before crashing.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I have been running BT on the laptop for a year now. This BT2 is a marked improvement, not say there was anything wrong with the previous version. At the moment, I would have to reformat my present partitions (no room) and I don't want to mess with something not broke.

Just burned his ISO

Problem resolved for my instance.

Reburned the .iso with a different program and everything works. Must have been a bad first burn or Sony's proprietary software screwed me when I switched readers.