Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CUDA - worth it for a BT?

Just burned his ISO

Default CUDA - worth it for a BT?

I'm new to BT and will be acquiring a netbook for starting out.

Big deciding factor...is it worth getting a CUDA enabled gpu?

Since I'm new I'd love to hear experienced user's comments on whether this
    is worth it or not?

I've read about pyrit and multiforcer being cuda enabled but am not sure how much
    people really use CUDA? I know the ion2 gpu isn't beast like laptops/desktops as it will have only
    up to 16 cuda cores.

Thanks for the advice!

Default Re: CUDA - worth it for a BT?

the answer for that only depends on what you're looking for to do with BT and your laptop.. Go from there, and then use the search option, you'll quickly find out if it's worth it or not to accomplish whatever...
    محاولة أصعب!..

I'm sure purehate thinks so, but he's doing something a little more specialized than the average backtrack user.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

If you are going to do anything with password cracking then get a NVIDIA card. BT a side, the rate that software is developing with 64bit and CUDA it just makes sense to do it.

Just burned his ISO

Ok sounds like a no brainer to me then...nvidia gpu it is.

Now time to find me a laptop...

Thanks for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I'm sure purehate thinks so, but he's doing something a little more specialized than the average backtrack user.
    Not only him, most of us also do, not only for the gpu's capabilities, but also for graphics rendering.. but like i said, it all depends on what you want to accomplish..
    correct if i'm wrong, but BT related, i don't see CUDA applicable to nothing else than encryption bruteforcing.. or maybe he just needs a CUDA for better graphics in BT? lol
    محاولة أصعب!..

CUDA is starting to be used in many spatial analysis programs. Analysis's that used to take hours and days are turning into hours and minutes, sometimes seconds. Unfortunately, this has not been introduced into some of the major vendors like Autodesk and ESRI.

NVIDIA's Site:
    “GIS datasets are growing increasingly complex, often involving many gigabytes of interactive maps. We are under pressure to deliver products capable of crunching through these datasets fast, efficiently, and accurately,” said Dimitri Rotow, product manager, Manifold.net. “With the CUDA configuration, calculations that previously took 20 minutes to complete are now done in 30 seconds. Moreover, calculations that previously took 30 to 40 seconds are now real-time. It is no exaggeration to say that, at least for our industry, NVIDIA CUDA technology could be the most revolutionary development in computing since the invention of the microprocessor.”

nice info cseven

Thanx for the update!
    محاولة أصعب!..

I havent looked into it much but from memory the ion benchmarks are pretty bad, and you wouldn't expect else more from a card designed for low power consumption, small size, and low price. Cuda is realistically only helpful for offline attacks like cracking hashes in which case you can use the netbook to gather information, and process it at home. If I had to guess I would say the gpu would double your processing power, but double crap is still crap. In summary, cuda is extremely useful technology, but it doesn't really shine until you use it in a desktop or server. My advice is to use whatever the price difference is on a gpu upgrade for your desktop.
    A true gentleman, a good hearty guy.

Quote Originally Posted by CKing View Post
    ... in which case you can use the netbook to gather information, and process it at home.
    Or a ultra-portable like mine, which has better CPU, memory and a dvd-drive (yeeeaaah!) (yes, i'm bragging ) but still has a lame SiS671 graphics card..
    And i also agree with you on the desktop advice, when i was using my other laptop CUDA to crack hashes the gpu was getting mad hot which obviously will reduce his lifetime.. So i've started using my desktop from work to do these jobs during the night.. Also, replacing a desktop graphics card will be much cheaper that repairing a laptop (if even repairable..)
    محاولة أصعب!..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast