Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: broadcom bcm4318 wlan not working

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by ch0wn View Post
    Zonkers, are you using ndiswrapper instead linux native driver ? Kernel 2.6.17 or newers have bcm support. Im using this native module, but as it is describe in kernel, the support is unstable.

If you use ndiswrapper, and it is working pretty good, please tell us. Maybe I can follow your steps and get working better.

Thanks.

Rgds
    Yes, I'm using ndiswrapper with my Broadcom 4318 on Acer laptop. Unfortunately I have to go now, so no time to type steps at the moment. But I promise I'll do this tomorrow. See you soon.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by zonkers View Post
    Yes, I'm using ndiswrapper with my Broadcom 4318 on Acer laptop. Unfortunately I have to go now, so no time to type steps at the moment. But I promise I'll do this tomorrow. See you soon.
    Before you post, I thank you so much.
    Maybe with your steps, I can get the card working better.

I need of this card to make the pentests.
    When I bought this model, I thought it comes with Atheros chipset, but I was wrong. Now, this MUST to work well

Thanks again, zonkers.

Brgds,
    Adriano.

Just burned his ISO

Ok. So here are the steps to get broadcom card working. Remember that I'm new in Linux so it may not work for you.

What we got:
    - broadcom wireless card
    Code:
    bt ~ # lspci | grep Broadcom
    06:05.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
    - one of the Acer laptop which, on Windows, turns on card by pressing a led button in front of the laptop. Of course that button doesn't work on Linux.

Steps:
    1. First of all, we have to turn on card. To do so, we need acer_acpi module which can be downloaded here. Just install it according to INSTALL file in the package. You shouldn't have any problems or errors with that (previously I was using Fedora Core 6 (64-bit) and Fedora 7 and I was unable to install that module but on Fedora Core 6 (32-bit) I did it).
    After that just add module to kernel by
    Code:
    bt ~ # modprobe acer_acpi
    To check if it was added type
    Code:
    bt ~ # modprobe -l | grep acer_acpi
    /lib/modules/2.6.20-BT-PwnSauce-NOSMP/extra/acer_acpi.ko
    2. Then we install ndiswrapper (check whether it's already been installed). The simplest way to do it is either
    Code:
    bt ~ # slapt-get -install ndiswrapper
    or download and install it from here.
    After that, you should type that command
    Code:
    bt ~ # modprobe ndiswrapper
    When you got ndiswrapper, you can install driver (which can be downloaded, for example, from here) for your card. To do it, you need bcmwl5.inf (or bcmwl5a.inf) file. Install it by
    Code:
    bt ~ # ndiswrapper -i  /Directory/where/you/have/bcmwl5.inf
    Check whether it's been installed correctly
    Code:
    bt ~ # ndiswrapper -l
    bcmwl5 : driver installed
            device (14E4:4318) present (alternate driver: bcm43xx)
    3. Finally, you should turn on your card by
    Code:
    bt ~ # echo "enabled : 1" > /proc/acpi/acer/wireless
    After that led button starts blinking. Now you can try to connect to AP with Wireless Assistant.

Note:
    - Keep in mind that after reboot, you have to add acer_acpi module to kernel and turn it on again. Alternatively you can type a simple script at startup. Let me know if you need it.
    - Before installing ndiswrapper or driver check if they're already been installed by
    Code:
    bt ~ # ndiswrapper -l
    If you get the result as in point 2, you can go straight to point 3.
    - To connect to AP with any WPA security, you need to install wpa_suppicant. This step is described by -=Xploitz=- here or here or here.

In case of any problems or questions, do not hesitate to ask. I'll try to help as much as I'm knowledgeable.

I totally agree with Balding_Parrot, ditch the broadcom & get Atheros chipset
    I bought a NETGEAR WG511T & no problems at all with it - get yerself one of these bad boys, follow Xploitz video turoria, or my wep crack 64bit step by step tutorial based on Xploitz video & you'll be soon on your way

Just burned his ISO

Zonkers, thanks you very much.

Now, Im using the native linux module (bcm43xx), and when I recompile this kernel which comes with BT2, I´ve seen this module and read about it.

So, I will stop using this module and try it with ndiswrapper. I wanna see if by this way my card will work better or not.

I just would like to know the exactly windows driver were you using, and the version of ndiswrapper. I will try this soon, and I will post here the conclusion.

With native linux module, I use kismet, I connect to AP, but I never get a good power signal. I want to see if using ndiswrapper I will get better.
    And about injection and WEP/WPA crack using ndiswrapper? Have you tried?

Very very thanks for your post. When we share knowledge, we keep world better

Brgds,
    Adriano.

Just burned his ISO

No need to say 'thank you'. I haven't helped you yet.
    I just would like to know the exactly windows driver were you using, and the version of ndiswrapper.
    I'm not sure but I guess I got windows driver from that link. Now as you can see that link says 'No such file or directory'. I suggest taking the driver from directory which describes your laptop model or similar. Otherwise you can copy that file from Windows if you still have it.

Version of ndiswrapper I'm using shows code below
    Code:
    bt ~ # slapt-get -search ndiswrapper
    ndiswrapper-1.47_2.6.21.5_smp-i686-1McD [inst=yes]: NDIS Wrapper 1.47 for Linux 2.6.21.5-smp (GCC 4.1.2)
    And about injection and WEP/WPA crack using ndiswrapper? Have you tried?
    To be honest, no, I haven't. Actually I'm working on something else then aircrack-ng suite but if you want, I can try to test it.

Good luck with installing that driver.

Just burned his ISO

Ok, I have installed ndiswrapper 1.47 from source, acer_acpi-0.7 and with some changes, I got my card under wlan0.

BUT, it doesnt support MONITOR mode
    I will make a search looking for more informations, but I have to thank you
    Now, I have to make a signal test with ndiswrapper driver, instead native linux driver.

Soon, I will post the conclusions.

Thanks man.

Brgds,
    Adriano.

Just burned his ISO

Very strange. I can turn my card into monitor mode with no problems.
    I usually do that the following methods
    Code:
    bt ~ # iwconfig eth1 mode Monitor
    or
    Code:
    bt ~ # airmon-ng start eth1
    Have you received any errors when turning into that mode? How do you turn it?

Ok, I have installed ndiswrapper 1.47 from source, acer_acpi-0.7 and with some changes, I got my card under wlan0.

That's because ndiswrapper does not support monitor mode; only managed mode (i.e., connecting to an AP).
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Just burned his ISO

Zonkers, are you sure that you are using ndiswrapper ?
    Please, tell me what's happen when you type :

lsmod | grep bcm43xx

If it returns, you are not using ndiswrapper.

I'm telling because when I use bcm43xx (native module), my card comes as eth1, BUT when I use ndiswrapper, my card comes as wlan0, and DOESNT support monitor mode.

I have tried with both, iwconfig and airmon-ng.

theprez98, I've read about that, ndiswrapper doesnt support monitor mode, but I thought it supports because zonkers said. But for me, it doesnt work.

When I use the native module (bcm43xx), I can put my card in monitor mode, by iwconfig (I usually get iwconfig) or airmon-ng, but like I said, my signal is a shit, and if I have an AP at 2mts near of me, my signal is about 50%.

btw, if you get your card working well and monitor mode with ndiswrapper, this is nice! I didnt get same

Brgds,
    Adriano.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast