Thread: Request: Help with ipw3945 - iwlwifi and ipwraw drivers

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Question Request: Help with ipw3945 - iwlwifi and ipwraw drivers

Hi, I'm pretty new to linux but I'm doing my best to learn quickly. I'm looking for some help with updating my 3945 drivers. I've been digging around for a while and everywhere I looked I found posts saying the ipw3945 wireless card wouldn't support packet injection(including posts here). I then came across a set of drivers released by intel that supposedly would: iwlwifi and ipwraw

Links - intellinuxwireless.org/?p=iwlwifi[/url]
    article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.ipw3945.devel/490[/url]
    tinyshell.be/aircrackng/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=6ada28a616e98cb9b77cc67e4bba22 e4&topic=1387.msg7489[/url]

I was looking for some help getting them in properly using BT2F. I'm booting BT off of my HP dv2000 linux partition (HD installed). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just burned his ISO

Cool problem with Mac80211

I was going through the instructions which led me to having to setup a Mac80211 subsystem first I got as far as installing the modules and just towards the end it couldnt install one of the cfg files. Anyone know anything about this?

Just burned his ISO

Unhappy Getting closer but still need help

I can't get past this section of the install process.

#make modules_install
    HOSTCC arch/i386/boot/tools/build
    BUILD arch/i386/boot/bzImage
    Root device is (0, 13)
    Boot sector 512 bytes.
    Setup is 7408 bytes.
    System is 3126 kB
    Kernel: arch/i386/boot/bzImage is ready (#4)
    Building modules, stage 2.
    MODPOST 1395 modules
    WARNING: drivers/atm/lanai.o - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text: from .text between 'sram_test_pass' (at offset 0x1da) and 'sram_test_and_clear'
    WARNING: drivers/atm/zatm.o - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text: from .text after 'zatm_init_one' (at offset 0x21b8)
    WARNING: drivers/atm/zatm.o - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text: from .text after 'zatm_init_one' (at offset 0x21c5)
    WARNING: drivers/net/rrunner.o - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:rr_init from .text between 'rr_init_one' (at offset 0x1da) and 'rr_remove_one'
    WARNING: drivers/net/sis900.o - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:sis900_mii_probe from .text between 'sis900_probe' (at offset 0x4ad) and 'sis900_default_phy'
    WARNING: drivers/net/sunhme.o - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text: from .text between 'happy_meal_pci_probe' (at offset 0x2fb9) and 'happy_meal_pci_remove'
    WARNING: drivers/net/tokenring/3c359.o - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:xl_init from .text between 'xl_probe' (at offset 0x215) and 'xl_hw_reset'
    WARNING: drivers/net/tulip/de2104x.o - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text: from .text between 'de_init_one' (at offset 0x240c) and 'de_remove_one'
    WARNING: drivers/net/tulip/de2104x.o - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text: from .text between 'de_init_one' (at offset 0x2504) and 'de_remove_one'
    WARNING: drivers/net/tulip/de2104x.o - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text: from .text between 'de_init_one' (at offset 0x250b) and 'de_remove_one'
    WARNING: "cfg80211_dev_rename" [net/wireless/cfg80211.ko] undefined!
    make[1]: *** [__modpost] Error 1
    make: *** [modules] Error 2

Anyone know how to get around this error?

Just burned his ISO

If you check out the B|T wiki site at Offensive security it mentions this:

Driver : IPW3945

Enable the drivers via KDE menu or cd /usr/src/drivers/ipw3945-1.2.0/ && ./load

Enters monitor mode, but cannot inject

You may need to start the image with "bt irqpoll" Good way to tell: you see what looks like function call backtraces on startup and the suggestion to run "bt irqpoll" scrolls by pretty fast. Check your dmesg for more details if it scrolls too fast for you.
    What version of B|T are you using? My recommendation would be to go buy a Netgear card if you can (especially if you are looking to use packet injection/etc. I have spent a lot of time doing the same kind of stuff for the ipw2200 and realized your just better off getting a different card. Although, hopefully somebody else has some more insight on this issue..

boot with

bt irqpoll

Just burned his ISO

I appreciate the comments guys.

My problem though isn't with specifically getting my wireless card up at all. I handled that without a problem. It's that recently new drivers came out which allow the ipw3945 to packet inject. I'm working on patching the kernel with the modules, however, first I have to install the mac80211 subsystem (goto: intellinuxwireless.org). I have had trouble getting this through on BT. It stopped at the installing modules phase.

The next step involves getting the iwlwifi driver for the 3945 to replace the ipw3945 drivers and daemon.