Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BT4 R1 USB Persistent slow performance/crashes

Default BT4 R1 USB Persistent slow performance/crashes

Hi,

I'm having a performance issue with BT4, the laptop performs great in WinVista, and when i go to BT, if i open mozilla + konsole + whatever.. if starts to freeze when i try to do anything..

I'd like to know what causes this issue.. Maybe the graphics card, or even the usb stick.. Is there any benchmark tests or something i can post to check this further?

thanx.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: BT4 R1 USB Persistent slow performance/crashes

How big is your USB stick?
    Think I read somewhere that if you use 4GB it wont be as good as 4GB +

It's a 8GB stick, and i have plenty of free space, i don't believe this is the problem.. I think this is either due to graphics card (SiS672 shared memory) or to usb access speed, but this second doesn't make much sense, unless the memory is not properly allocated..

Hi,

After changing my BT from usb to dual-boot HDD, I've noticed performance increased drastically, and i was wondering, if this is due to the swap file created.. Also if this is the case, can i create a swap file in my usb stick?

Is there any possible way to use my USB stick without having such performance issues? I'm sorry to keep pushing this issue forward, but i'm still too noob to find all this by myself.. Apparently no one else complains about such problems, and this leaves me without much for searching around for answers..

Thanx!
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 10-18-2010 at 02:57 PM.

Just burned his ISO

Here is a thought:
    Is the USB stick working "normally" I'm thinking read/write speed?
    This is just a long shot skor, but how many devices are plugged in to the USB controller, just this day I had a customer with bad performance on a USB HDD which we solved by only using his USB HDD and not any other USB devices.
    As I said just a thought, but it might be worth a shot

Didn't read everything... but if your using USB or SD... please use ext2.... trust me... I ruined a Class10 16gig SD using ext3... yeah... look up the price on them...

what do you mean use ext2? the device is automatically mounted on boot. can you elaborate on this?

EDIT: never mind the ext2 comment, what you mean is to format linux partition in ext2 instead of ext3.. but i don't think this is the problem, my stick is a regular class 4, and no one else complains on this..

@jonathan

i don't believe so, the stick works great under vista, and i only have the stick and the wifi card connected in different usb controllers/devices, either in vista or in BT.
    Last edited by skor78; 10-16-2010 at 01:39 PM.

Yes... if using FLASH memory trust me... use ext2... Alot of people have issues and don't realize it and (1) don't realize the difference between ext2 and ext3 (2.) don't realize flash memory can only be written to so many times... when you throw in journaling your writing over and over when you really don't need to be... thus wearing out the media faster...

Also.. using class 4 for an operating system could also be your problem.... and ext3 and class 4 really shouldn't be used together... it just can't keep up...

Take my advice or don't... it's up to you.

Maybe one of the BT creators can comment on this...
    Last edited by sLiPpErY; 10-16-2010 at 09:31 PM.

"There is really only one difference between ext2 and ext3, and that is that ext3 uses a journal to prevent filesystem corruption in the case of an unclean shutdown (ie. before the filesystem is synced to disk)(...)"

"The main benefits that ext4 has over ext3 are: faster timestamping faster file system checking journaling checksums extents (basically automatic space allocation to avoid fragmentation)"

I believe this reduces the read/write ratio and can speed up a little the system, but probably this isn't the problem..

I've been told that the problem might be that i might have USB1.1 drivers installed instead of USB2.0 in linux (not an issue in win), but i don't know how to check this.. Can someone help me how to check this?

Thanx!

Did i miss something.. where did ext4 come into play? Thanks for the lesson on ext2 and ext3, I had no idea........ if your using ext3...have fun ruining media... I've been through 2 flash drives doing it.... ext2 hasn't failed yet and I've gone longer than both flash drives combined...... I've been using backtrack since 2 tho... but... either way, you don't like my advice, regardless if it's your problem right now... take my advice as a preventive measure...

As for your drivers... Google didn't help? I'm not sure how that would of happened?

Quote Originally Posted by sLiPpErY View Post
    Did i miss something.. where did ext4 come into play? Thanks for the lesson on ext2 and ext3, I had no idea........ if your using ext3...have fun ruining media... I've been through 2 flash drives doing it.... ext2 hasn't failed yet and I've gone longer than both flash drives combined...... I've been using backtrack since 2 tho... but... either way, you don't like my advice, regardless if it's your problem right now... take my advice as a preventive measure...

As for your drivers... Google didn't help? I'm not sure how that would of happened?
    Dude, get your period key fixed!
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast