Thread: Ubiquiti Power question

Just burned his ISO

Default Ubiquiti Power question

Hello,

I have a Ubiquiti 300mW PCMCIA card ( one that was recommended in a thread )
    I have read about it over here and there seems to be a problem with the power transmitting of the card.

How can I check what power the card is using ?

regards

iwlist ath0 txpower

Just burned his ISO

do'h

it says

ath0 8 available transmit-powers :
    0 dBm (1 mW)
    7 dBm (5 mW)
    11 dBm (12 mW)
    15 dBm (31 mW)
    19 dBm (79 mW)
    23 dBm (199 mW)
    27 dBm (501 mW)
    31 dBm (1258 mW)

Current Tx-Power:31 dBm (1258 mW)

The readings you are getting come from the driver that is included on BT2. I'm using the svn drivers from a week ago and my txpower readings are back to normal. You can update the drivers, patched for injection, by following the howto located here.

You should also know that the card is programed to "under report" it's actual txpower by 10 dBm The reasoning behind this can be found by googling

ubiquiti src txpower

Look for links to the madwifi-ng users list. One thing that is repeated over and over is "don't trust the txpower reported by iwlist".

My card works fine. I've had good long range results using it with several different antennas. I believe the problem that some people are having with this card stems from the fact that the antenna connectors on this card are not as robust as the same connectors on some of the other cards I have(the senao for instance). The connectors don't fit as tightly and are probably more easily damaged. You need to be careful when inserting or removing pigtails. If I was having problems, the first thing I'd do would be to tape the pigtail connector to the card tightly. If this solved my problem, I'd send it back for replacement or refund.

I can connect with this card at much longer ranges than I can with my atheros CM-9 mini-pci card.

Using the script found at http://madwifi.org/wiki/UserDocs/AntennaDiversity may also help your long range performance.

Good Luck

Just burned his ISO

Thx for the info

I have done all you said, and now I have

0 dBm (1 mW)
    7 dBm (5 mW)
    9 dBm (7 mW)
    11 dBm (12 mW)
    13 dBm (19 mW)
    15 dBm (31 mW)
    17 dBm (50 mW)
    19 dBm (79 mW)

Current Tx-Power:16 dBm (39 mW)

Pitty ... where is the 261 mW left ....

got this from tinyshell

To answer your original question, Ubiquiti has set the card's firmware to 'fudge' its report power settings. The actual output power corresponds to the output setting issued by iwconfig + 10db (sometimes lower numbers depending on the card.) This is becuase there are drivers and programs out there that won't work with a higher reported db. So when you have 19db showing, thats actually anywhere from 25 - 29db.

also used following settings

sysctl -w dev.wifi0.diversity=0
    sysctl -w dev.wifi0.txantenna=1
    sysctl -w dev.wifi0.rxantenna=1
    and I see normal readings and normal ap's

I also switched to "2" and then im missing one AP, so my guess is that TX and RX is on number one :-)

regards